VMware Workspace ONE Community
TimWeed
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Ground Control admins

I work for a hospital and I am looking for some guidance as I switch from Ground Control to Apple Business Manager and DEP.

Ground Control has a neat feature that displays department name and device number on the lock screen, example "SURGERY-001"

Anyone know how I can acheive the same effect without Ground Control? is there some sort of XML code I cam push to the device?

TIA,

Tim

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Boe_K
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Tim you can create a "Lock Screen Message" payload, I have linked the documentation for it below.

Create a Lock Screen Message Profile

0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Hey Boe, nice seeing you here!

The 'Lock Screen Message' profile in AirWatch will not achieve the same result delivered by Ground Control. What Ground Control is able to do is by setting a specific wallpaper for either or both of the locked and home screen, and pre-fill them with various info such as device name and serial number in much more readable format.

Tim, why are you switching away from Ground Control to DEP only?

0 Kudos
Boe_K
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

chengtmskcc have you seen me some place else before? Also thanks for the update on how Ground Control does things differently, I personally haven't ever worked with Ground Control before so wasn't sure was more or less offering a solution that can be deployed not intending it to be a 1 for 1 sort of thing :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
JoeTingley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hospital using Ground Control / DEP hybrid too. I have not found a way to duplicate that workflow either unfortunately.

Are you a Voalte shop by chance?

0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Joe, how did you know? We are indeed a Voalte shop. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Boe, I might have confused you with someone else. I was pretty active in the community forum at support.workspaceone.com before they moved this over.

0 Kudos
JoeTingley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Voalte is one of the primary partners for GroundControl, and they sell GC as a package with all of their installs. As soon as you said hospital, I had a hunch.

What version of Voalte server/client are you on? Are you experiencing the Apple call kit API issue?

0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

I think we are using version 3.7 for the server and 3.7.9 for the app. Are you using 'Tap n Go' as well?

We are not experiencing the Apple call kit API issue either.

0 Kudos
JoeTingley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We're on the same app version. We don't use tap-n-go.

I'm surprised you're not seeing issues with the call kit issue. What iPhone hardware are you running?

0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

If you are like mine, we've been using mainly iPhone 7 and slowly upgrading them with iPhone 8.

0 Kudos
JoeTingley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We are mostly on an iPhone 6s, with some having been upgraded to 8. I wonder if the hardware difference is why you're not seeing it. Are you on iOS 13.1+?

0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Most are still on iOS 12 and the iPhone 8 will be upgraded to 13 before they roll out to the field.

0 Kudos
JoeTingley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's why! This is an iOS 13 issue. Wait until you hear from Voalte directly that this call kit api issue is resolved before upgrading to iOS 13 and save yourself a lot of headaches! It *mostly* works, but any situation with high call volume tends to trigger issues where the phone's call screen never appears at all, flashes briefly before going away, or is there but the call answer button cannot be swiped. We've also seen issues where the phone never rings but missed calls simply appear at the device side.

0 Kudos
RafaelVenegas
Contributor
Contributor

I am actually deploying Ground Control in our environment for 1 specific workflow that requires a wipe after every use.  To my knowledge this is only possible with Ground Control.  You can deploy a Lock Screen payload with Workspace ONE but the text is way too small to be used to identify the unit it belongs too. We leverage Ground Control to display the Unit.

0 Kudos