VMware Workspace ONE Community
JacquesPerrolle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Has anyone ever gotten QR code to work?

I know the answer to this is yes... and yet I've been managing this on-prem WS1 environment for almost 5 years and we've never managed to get the QR code to work and I cannot figure out why. Open Hub installed on a device, tap Scan QR code, scan the code, it'll beep and then nothing.  It doesn't input the MDM server, the enrollment OG, nothing. Tried different devices, Android and iOS. Tried different OS versions. Tried different WS1 versions. Tried different OGs. This makes Android 11 enrollment difficult since afw#hub is no longer honored (thanks Google) and we don't have Zero Touch.

What am I missing?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
AVIVEKA
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

How do you generate your QR Code?

Regards,

0 Kudos
JacquesPerrolle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've tried through the in-console wizard. I tried writing my own based on the info it contained. There's some setting missing that we don't have turned on, but isn't detailed in the documentation as being critical to QR code working... like web enrollment or something like that.

0 Kudos
AVIVEKA
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Are you trying to enroll your device as a Work Managed Device or a BYOD ?
Do you install Intelligent Hub manually on your device with a google account and then try to scann the QR Code, or do you try to reset factory the device, tap 8x on "Start" and then scann the QR Code ?

Regards,

0 Kudos
JacquesPerrolle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In this case I am trying to get COPE enrollment for Androids going using the QR code method, as suggested by VMware for Androids running OS 11+ since the "afw#hub" trick isn't supposed to work anymore.

I've tried simply using the camera & after downloading hub and using the QR Code button within Hub.

I've not tried tapping start multiple times as that wasn't a documented approach so I didn't know it was an option, seems strange.

A lot of this is telling me that I really need to get Zero Touch going.

0 Kudos
AVIVEKA
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

You should try to reset factory the device and tap 7x or 8x on the "Start" displayed message.

Zero touch is more efficient and give an additional security (If the device is reset, it will be protected by Zero Touch).

Regards

0 Kudos
JacquesPerrolle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks. The tap method works, but I'm not sure this is saving much in the way of steps.

Naturally because Androids are a mess, the outcome is different for a QR enrollment into the same OG as an "afw#hub" enrollment.

In the latter (afw#hub), the device gets enrolled, there is an account on the device for the work profile based on our Android EMM account, and the desired apps get installed automatically.

In the former (qr code), the device gets enrolled. Now the user(?) has to add their Google Id to the "Work" side profile AND the "Personal" side profile. No apps get installed automatically other than Hub.

<sigh>

0 Kudos