VMware Workspace ONE Community
SteveRoach
Contributor
Contributor

GPS Data Collection

Is anyone able to point me in the right direction around GPS data collection? Location data is being collected and stored for all of our users but I cannot find a definitive answer as to 'how long for'. It looks like 3 months but I cannot be certain. Is there a way to modify this and reduce the amount of stored location data? Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
AbrahamSanchez
Contributor
Contributor

Wow! That's interesting. You org allows GPS data collection of your users?  Just our of curiosity, did you have to let your users know that type of data is being collect during or after the install?
0 Kudos
SteveRoach
Contributor
Contributor

The original config was done prior to me taking ownership so I suspect they won't have been but it's something we have been engaging with our users more recently. They are aware that we can locate their devices but I think it was a little bit unknown until recently that it was being collected for a matter of months. So we are looking to get confirmation of how long the data is kept. There is merit to having it for devices that are lost but have no connectivity but it's more about understanding the facts before allowing the org to decide on it's usage. Thanks
0 Kudos
BethC
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

To my knowledge it is 30 days if you are asking how long before the data is dumped from the database. How many times the device checks in (and whatever interval you have the device check in set at or if it changes locations more than xx amount of change...etc), that is up to you. We do not collect GPS information for Employee Owned devices, only corporate owned. I run an audit once every 90 days to make sure that people have not enrolled incorrectly as corporate owned. 

0 Kudos