VMware Workspace ONE Community
J4yJ4y
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Fingerprint scanner not working anymore to unlock device

Hi All,

In WS1 SaaS environment with Android Enterprise devices (Samsung hardware, Android 8 and 9) , reports are coming in that users are suddenly unable to use any bio-metrics to unlock their device.
They can only unlock using their passcode.
For example a user that has fingerprints scanned, still can use these with 3rd party Apps on the device, but not to unlock a locked device.

In the device settings, the fingerprint unlock switch , in biometrics + security/fingerprints is disabled, and can't be enabled.

Only thing related I can think of that is a recent update of the passcode profile , changing it to not to expire.
While before it was set to expire in 60 days.

Tried reapplying passcode profile, even removed it but no success.

Anyone with same experience/issue?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
32 Replies
StevinvanKeulen
Contributor
Contributor

I am in contact with VMware for a solution.

They came with the following:
1. Edit the Passcode, add a new version, and save and publish it without making any changes
2. Confirm if the XML of the new version has the biometric parameters listed with the desired values

Right XML:

<wap-provisioningdoc id=' 8c0064d2-88ed-4617-a68d-441fc46b2e65'  name=' AE Passcode/V_1'  allowRemoval=' True' ><characteristic uuid=' 0e2e3003-8636-4dd0-b5ed-e7b2ceb48c50'  type=' com.airwatch.android.androidwork.apppasswordpolicy'  target=' 1' ><parm name=' AfwAppSetPasswordMinimumLength'  value=' 4'  type=' integer'  /><parm name=' AfwAppSetPasswordQuality'  value=' 131072'  type=' integer'  /><parm name=' enableOneLock'  value=' True'  type=' boolean'  /><parm name=' allowBiometrics'  value=' True'  type=' boolean'  /><parm name=' allowFingerprintUnlock'  value=' True'  type=' boolean'  /><parm name=' allowFaceUnlock'  value=' True'  type=' boolean'  /><parm name=' allowIrisUnlock'  value=' True'  type=' boolean'  /></characteristic></wap-provisioningdoc>

0 Kudos
J4yJ4y
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have had a Support request created at VMware, and it's still open.
I am wondering if there's actually a single issue or multiple.
In my case the issue is solved with a work around, by re-applying (pushing) the Restriction profile after any change in the Passcode profile.
Then all biometrics are working again , including registered fingerprints.

So clearly , there's a link between Passcode and Restriction profile for the Biometrics to work on AE Work managed device.
0 Kudos
Olivaw10
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

End users have same issue on our plateform.
It was working before... So is there any link between this issue and Hub Intelligent Client version ?
0 Kudos
SalzburgerFests
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

i have the same issue on our on premise installation (Version 1907). I'm also waiting for a bug fix.

Best Regards
0 Kudos
DenisdeWit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The posted XML should work. We are still using 18.10 and it works fine as well. So all versions after that should work. I found out that although functionality might not be yet in WS1, this doesn't mean that the phone doesn't recognize the XML commands.
0 Kudos
Boe_K
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Stevin I actually had this issue reported to me by and end user Tuesday night (which is why I original asked if anyone reached out to support) I got lucky and the device the user reported is the same device I have as a test device (Galaxy S8) so I was able to verify it was broke. I started doing some internal testing and was about to open a ticket with support when I realized that editing passcode profile which bumped it up a version fixed the issue.

We are a SaaS customer and were recently upgraded to 1910 so I'm guessing something with the upgrade jacked up the profile config but I'm not 100% either way that worked for us hopefully it works for everyone else as well. We opted not to go the XML route since editing the config did the trick.
0 Kudos
Olivaw10
Contributor
Contributor

We have this issue on client Hub 19.10 (current version on PlayStore). No issue with hub 19.09 or less.
Same case for 2 differents servers SAAS : 1811 or 1909.
Issue is about client Hub version.
Hope to see an update quickly on Google PlayStore...
0 Kudos
J4yJ4y
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware Support has classified the issue as I described as a bug, covered by  ESC-20190.
Brief description ' Biometrics are getting disabled on Android devices with the 19.10 version' .
According to VMware support , the bug covers the issue where the biometrics stop working after the Passcode profile is changed and deployed.
Repushing the Restriction profile enables the biometrics again.
0 Kudos
FlorianFoerster
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue with 19.03.0.21
I tried David W`s xml and the biometrics on the device was back. But not for work profile. here is Biometrics disabled.
if you use ' one lock'  the seetings from work profile will overwrite the settings on the device and Biometrics is disabled.
All the other XML i was not able to test cause they was not delivered to the testphones.
I tried with Samsung A5 and Samsung Note. Does anyone have a direct link to ESC-20190?
0 Kudos
SebastianGomezS
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for all teh help!  I got this to work by including the below as part of the profile under the custom settings

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

WS1 now have KB article on the issue https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/76263
0 Kudos
Ramkumara11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Still not working for us.
I tried Denis.D solution and it did nothing

We use google pixel 3a with os 10
0 Kudos
J4yJ4y
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Originally posted issue, also submitted as support request at VMware Support, was solved today.
The solution means I can make any changes to the Passcode profile without impacting the functionality to unlock a device with scanned fingerprints.

Basically solved with Intelligent HUB version version 19.11.0.14.
UEM Console version 19.10.0.7 (1910).

0 Kudos