VMware Workspace ONE Community
JoeTingley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Find Device - What other SDK applications work?

Use Case: I have iPhones deployed to nurses who misplace them often. It'd be very helpful to be able to have Find Device play a sound for them to help them track devices down. The problem is that I use DEP, so they don't get Hub installed. I could install it, but hub usually prompts for ID information and I don't want users being able to play with anything really.I'd like an application that I can use to make sound for the user, that they can't get into any trouble with. Anyone aware of an app that would work for this use case?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ccalv015
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Joe,

My hospital utilizes DEP to enroll iPhones into the MDM. We utilize HUB on the iPhones and configured them to make sound and provide last location (nothing to the extent of Find My). There shouldn't be a reason why HUB isn't in use.

Can you purchases license and transfer them over to MDM? Who set up AirWatch at your site? 

0 Kudos
JoeTingley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What is your onboarding process for the device? You image/launch the device, it goes through DEP.  When you say you've 'configured them to make sound and provide last location', how did you accomplish this?

For me, when I launch Hub, it starts an enrollment process prompting for group ID even if the device is already enrolled via DEP. 

0 Kudos
ccalv015
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Our MDM environment is only Apple iOS. The steps are the following:

1. all purchases are automatically enrolled and process through Apple Business Manager (DEP).

2. We provision all iPhones using Ground Control provisioning. That systems sets all the attributes needed (wall paper, friendly name, etc).

3. API Integration of Ground Control and AirWatch links the iPhones to AirWatch.

Hub in our environment is required and part of the approved application lists. When I launch Hub I see the device's friendly name, Device Enrollment, Connectivity Normal status and sub menu to navigate. 

There is a specific account we use to for HUB, but it is automatically processed during the enrollment and provisioning process. If we need the credentials we have them available, but it is always best to run the iPhone through Ground Control to ensure all settings are correct. 

0 Kudos
JoeTingley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply!

I am also a GroundControl customer and have an otherwise identical setup to you. However, we don't require authentication to that OG during the enrollment and I'm guessing that is the difference and why HUB shows enrollment information and credentials there for you while devices enrolled into HUB don't for us, and why HUB doesn't show up in my Find My Device app list dropdown even though it is on the device. I'll test that out.

I see a drawback to authentication - We chose not to authenticate because if a device is lost or stolen, we want it to automatically re-enroll itself through DEP and into our system with location information so we know it's in the wind. If the OG requires authentication, this will not occur. 

0 Kudos