VMware Workspace ONE Community
Seb1180
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Files & folders getting deleted

Hi to everyone,

I have quite a strange behavior since this morning for couple of users. I have opened an SR for this but was wondering if anyone has or had the same issue.

We have redirected by policies users My docs, desktop and IE favorites to their workspace folders (c:\users\%username%\Horizon). Everything gets synced no issue.

Since this morning several users reported their complete desktop, docs favorites etc are gone. If you check the history on the workspace webpage it says You deleted ... Of course they haven't deleted. No big deal as anyway it can be recovered but would really like to figure out what is wrong.

By the way it would be really nice if the undelete options could be improved as for exemple someone has more than 2000 items deleted and he can't simply click undelete 2000 times. Lucky for me he had a backup on a timecapsule.

Cheers

Seb

0 Kudos
5 Replies
sravuri
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Seb,

Which version of windows client are you using?

0 Kudos
Seb1180
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Sridevi,

first of all Happy New Year and all the best for this new year.

On View as you recommended me I am using the last one 1.5.2 and redirecting to a network share and on laptops/desktops I upgraded today. I was using 1.5.0 pointing locally.

I got the following answer from support and it might be particular to my environment but I think I have an idea why this is happening :

it is not recommended to include system-managed folders like Documents & Favorites in the content that is synced with Workspace due to potential conflicts/complications when instantiating new desktops or user profiles. An example would be the following:

A user launches a new view session, the Horizon folder is synced and then Windows creates a new Favourites folder when building the user profile. This would result in Workspace attempting to sync a new/blank favourites folder back to every client.

As a result, files & folders that are associated with user profiles (such as anything auto-created by Windows) and that are not managed exclusively by users or user actions should not be located within this folder to avoid such potential conflicts or unexpected sync updates.

In fact we are gradually migrating people to workspace and redirecting their folders to it because of a need to have a unified desktop/mydocs/favorites between the users workstation and the View pools. We are using View as a remote access solution and also internaly because we have several application that can t run on the same OS. Tried to thinapp them but it doesn't work. View is our only option instead of having 3 physical desktop per user Smiley Happy

The migration/redirection is done by policy and I think what support is mentionning is part of the solution. If I am guessing right when the migrated user connects to View, the policy kicks in, the folders gets redirected and moved to the network share where workspace will then sync the files. However the folder is empty and maybe it is just a question of couple of seconds until the complete folder structure is created and then workspace could start syncing. One of my users had the message on View that his workspace folder had been deleted and if he wanted to recreate it just fater logging in.

I will do a test and delay the startup of the workspace client by one minute using a freeware like startup delayer and see if it helps.

Seb

0 Kudos
sravuri
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Happy new year to you too!

Yes, you seemed to have found the right issue.

We are also looking at a few options to fix this problem. We will keep you posted if we find something.

0 Kudos
Seb1180
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes please keep me posted.

In the meantime I have modified my pools and delayed the start of workspace and it seems to be solving the issue. We will see how it goes monday.

Seb

0 Kudos
Seb1180
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Shouted for Victory a bit too fast. Indeed it works but only for one user. The one that installs the app on the golden image. Seems like this freeware doesn t work for all users ...

Just a suggestion as maybe other people will be looking into having workspace in view with a redirection to a network share, would it be possible to have workspace run as a service that way it could be set on delayed start in windows avoiding those issues ?

Tried to create it today with sc create but no luck so far.

Seb

0 Kudos