VMware Workspace ONE Community
Bitpiece
Contributor
Contributor

Factory provisioning service

Hi all,

Would be really grateful if anyone has experience of installing the factory provisioning service in an on-prem environment and can advise.

I have a Windows server that I configured and installed the factory provisioning service on.  The installer automated the creation of the server roles such as IIS, and the installation of software dependencies.  Networking appears to be configured fine, where the server is able to communicate to the device services server, console server and REST API over HTTPS. The service also appears to be running on the server.  However, when testing the connection within WS1 I get the generic error ‘Factory Provisioning Service is unavailable’. 

I have looked at documentation and forums regarding this issue but there is little information available.  The common doc that is referenced is the following:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workspace-ONE-UEM/2001/DellProvisioning_WorkspaceONE/GUID-2668F538...

Appears to be an application issue, but there is no information on specific requirements such as server roles or software dependencies.

Can anyone shed some light on this?  Not sure if there is important information missing from the documentation.

Many thanks,

Suman

Labels (2)
12 Replies
AlexAskin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Suman,

Which version of UEM do you use?

Is Network file share access up and running?

Software Distribution of Win32 Applications

Alex

JosueNegron
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Bitpiece​,

Check out this tutorial Factory Provisioning: VMware Workspace ONE Operational Tutorial | VMware​! It goes over the requirements and shows the steps to getting this configured for on-premises. Ensure you are using the latest FPS build, today is https://resources.workspaceone.com/view/gn7wrl7bbbtwzttgsm3r/en .

Ensure the FPS Site URL is configured and uses HTTPS:

1. Click System > Advanced > Site URLs.
  2. Update the Factory Provisioning Service URL. Enter https://FPS_Hostname/FactoryProvisioning/Package, where FPS_Hostname is your Factory Provisioning Service hostname.
  • Note: In order for the HTTPS URL to function properly, a certificate must be properly requested for the Factory Provisioning Server.

Checking the Status of FPS:

You can check to see if the Factory Provisioning Service is properly started and running by navigating to https://[FPS_Hostname]/FactoryProvisioning/hc, where FPS_Hostname is your Factory Provisioning Service hostname. Remember that this should be accessible from the Workspace ONE UEM Console server.

Ensure Ports are Open for the Following:

Although the following is NOT official by any means, this is what I have personally documented from my internal lab.

pastedImage_19.png

JosueNegron
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Starting you see you everywhere! :smileylaugh:

AlexAskin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Want to become vExpert this year again, so I need to continue spreading my knowledge Smiley Wink and I am happy to help where I can.

Bitpiece
Contributor
Contributor

Currently running v1909

I am now aware that I need to look into Win32 software distribution further, thanks for this!

Suman

0 Kudos
Bitpiece
Contributor
Contributor

This is really informative thanks! I'm going to follow your advice and will let you know what I find.

Cheers,

Suman

0 Kudos
jafullersr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Good afternoon,

We're on-premise with Workspace ONE UEM v.21.2.0.12.  We have added a FPS server into our data center with the appropriate network access.  I have ran the installer for FPS, added an SSL cert for IIS and opened up port 443 there.  However, when we test connection from the Console, it's failing.  Also, when we go to the URL for health check, it's a 500 error.  I'm not sure where to look next since there is little troubleshooting documentation on this module.  Any direction you can provide would be helpful.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
JosueNegron
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

James it’s been years since we last had a meeting together. I will send you an email so we can get this taken care of for you. Hope all is well. 

jafullersr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Josue, it does seem as though the FPS installer is not finalizing the configuration properly.  When I attempt the health check URL, it's a 500 (Server Error).  In IIS, it says it can't read the web.config for the site and so-on.  I'll work on getting a support request open, but if you know of any other areas I should look, this just seems to be a broken installer.

It's showing in add/remove programs as: Workspace ONE Factory Provisioning Service v.19.9.0.0.

EDIT:
From the server (https://localhost/FactoryProvisioning/hc
HTTP Error 500.19 - Internal Server Error

The requested page cannot be accessed because the related configuration data for the page is invalid.

Maybe there is a new installer?

0 Kudos
JosueNegron
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

0 Kudos
jafullersr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It looked promising.  I installed the latest as you posted.  In Site URLs it still showed that it was unable to connect (Test Connection).
However, I went to the Windows Staging, added a provisioning package and it moved all the way through to In Process status.  But then it all failed and went to draft status.  I have since had failures to connect (API can't connect to FPS) messages.

I'm at a loss here.  So, going to open a support ticket.  I appreciate the support @JosueNegron . 

JanBolk
Contributor
Contributor

Hello @jafullersr 

did you find a solution for your problem?

I'm facing the the same problem. 😕 

0 Kudos