VMware Workspace ONE Community
NickEales
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Factory Reset Launcher

Does anyone know of a way of allowing the user to factory reset a device when using the Android Launcher?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
BethC
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

They can use the recovery method to do it. Curious about the use case.
0 Kudos
NickEales
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have been supporting large volumes of IOS devices with DEP and enforcing authentication (SAML through Airwatch) when going through the IOS first steps wizard. The current IOS model supports both multi user and single user scenarios whereby both our helpdesk and end user can trigger the logout sequence (i.e. factory reset). Now I am in charge of coming up with a similar model for both Android with Zero Touch and Knox. So it is important that our end users can also log out of the device on their own accord in a simple manner.

I am unfamiliar with the recovery method, where can I find more info on this?
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

Guessing Beth is referring to something like this:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-211247/
0 Kudos
NickEales
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ahh I am familiar with this method, I also know that unfortunately this method is specific to each device. Best case scenario would be a launcher icon which would trigger the factory reset proces after verification from the end user, but even just a way of accessing the necessary screen from the launcher settings would be fine. I don't seem to be able to initiate an unenroll procedure from the hub application either for some reason even though I don't block this from the console.
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

Are you using Android Enterprise or Legacy? If AE what type of enrollment?
0 Kudos
NickEales
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Enterprise Work Managed with user-based enrollment type (non g-suite).
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

That's probably why no unenroll is showing as it would wipe the device in the process
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

Kinda off base, but you could consider using the Self Service portal to allow them to wipe the device. Just a thought.
0 Kudos
NickEales
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I did consider the self service route, but that doesn't seem all that user friendly. Wiping the device after unenrolling would be fine in my scenario :). I might turn this into a feature request. Thanks for the suggestions.
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

I suspect they just turned it off altogether to avoid confusion. But I can see the need as sometimes remote commands would not be available either and being able to wipe the device would be nice.
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

do you use a Passcode Profile (you should if you aren't)?  if so, set the factory reset protection at whatever threshold you would like, and then the user can factory reset it by entering the passcode incorrectly N number of times.
0 Kudos