VMware Workspace ONE Community
ChaiseCooperCha
Contributor
Contributor

Error Code 12064 Could not retrieve license for the app with iTunes Store ID

Doing some testing within AirWatch/WorkSpace and am running into this error when trying to automatically distribute a number of apps, but for the purpose of this forum thread, I'll use the VMware WorkSpace ONE app as the culprit. Note this doesn't appear to affect ALL apps.

I've allotted enough licenses.
Device Based Assignment is turned ON.
The app is compatible with the device and iOS version.
Application syncing with ABM is working fine.
Certificates are all up to date.
When I try to push the app manually from the device itself and the devices page in AirWatch, it fails.
Labels (1)
25 Replies
ChaiseCooperCha
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
RichB2u2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I had a ticket regarding this (1343242) but there was never a real solution. Over time the connections started happening again! There appeared to be a problem with students getting apps on their home networks but since it worked on our Intranet they stopped researching the problem, even though they had been getting apps at home previously.
0 Kudos
RichB2u2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I now have another bunch of apps that won't install device-based licensed apps with this same error. I submitted ticket #1449303.
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Rich, did you hear back from support just yet? I have a device with the same error: Error Code : 12064 Could not retrieve license for the app with iTunes Store ID 1321606269.
0 Kudos
RichB2u2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Support was able to see the error and connected to our database to fix the problem. It has to do with apps being assigned previously to a smart group using user-based licensing with Apple IDs to later be changed to device-based licensing. For some reason the app assignments are not cleaned up automatically so the engineer had to run some scripts on our database.
0 Kudos
ChaiseCooperCha
Contributor
Contributor

It's a bit crazy to me how little support there is for this issue. All the documentation I've found says a license has been assigned twice and gives a solution that is totally unrelated to our environment and nonsensible. It appears to be completely random. One app will install fine but the next gives me this error. Errors that don't tell me anything are aggravating. (Yes I know the error itself is from Apple)
0 Kudos
ChaiseCooperCha
Contributor
Contributor

I've found Airwatch has assigned two licenses (assuming) to just a single device in this specific case. I've revoked one of them, but the other one wont let me because the user is in a specific smart group, but naturally it doesn't tell me which. I've also enabled device based license assignment. Still no change.
0 Kudos
RichB2u2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I know there will be problems if an app has been pushed to a group as a user-based license by mistake and then is just changed to device-based without first removing all the assignment groups and saving the app without them. Otherwise there will be externally redeemed licenses and this Error Code 12064.
0 Kudos
RichB2u2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

BTW, the support article regarding this is useless (doesn't help) and has a typo:  https://support.workspaceone.com/solutions/SOL-20292 ' Error Code : 12064 Could not retrieve licence for the app with iTunes Store ID ##AdamID##'

The link provided in the article is shown in the text correctly but the html behind the link is wrong! It says ' In the console server access the https://vpp.itunes.apple.com ...'  But if you click that link it tries to go to ' https://vpp.itunes.apple'  and fails because it is missing the ' .com' ! After verifying this was connected from the console without SSL errors the problem still exists so this not helpful.
0 Kudos
ChaiseCooperCha
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Rich, thanks for your input. Here's what I've found after many frustrating clicks through Airwatch.

In my case, I keep encountering one of two reasons for why an application won't install onto a device. The first is similar to what you've said, I believe. Say I have an app that is assigned to a particular user. There is already a device that has ' claimed'  the license for that user. My resolution has been enabling device based licensing by clicking the name of the app in the console, and selecting the big button in the middle.

Second, I hadn't allotted enough licenses. In one case, we had two separate large scale deployments a few months apart and I had only accounted for the first group of iPads when it came to licenses. As soon as I released enough licenses, the remainder of the second group worked as expected.

Regarding documentation. Gotta be honest. It kind of sucks. I've been met with numerous articles that say do X, Y, and Z with an expected outcome, but when I run through them the outcome isn't what the docs say. Another instance being steps that say go ' here'  only for that option to be non-existent. I appreciate the quantity of documentation, but the quality is really lacking, imo.
0 Kudos
AlthafMashood
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
LukasDhring
Contributor
Contributor

I've experienced the same error when adding a new device for a user that already had a device. In this case it is important to use the exact same Apple-ID as used for the other devices of the user (in my case I ran into the error because I've switched to managed Apple-IDs and some users have already been registered with normal IDs). The reason for this behaviour is documented at this article: https://support.workspaceone.com/solutions/SOL-3389
0 Kudos
RichB2u2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We are still having this issue with device-based licenses so there is no personal Apple ID involved. The link to the solution does not work and probably wouldn't help anyway.

0 Kudos
RichB2u2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

This was support level 1's answer which didn't help:  VMware Knowledge Base

I have been on the phone with support engineer (level 2?) for an hour and a half with him digging into our database, console, logs and such with nothing yet...

0 Kudos
RichB2u2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

After waiting many days and updating iOS versions the apps all eventually installed on eight iPads having this error with no real answer . The support ticket was closed with no real answer.

0 Kudos
RichB2u2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I believe it works better at our school networks where there is not a global proxy requirement. The best answer for devices at home was to upgrade to the current iOS version 13.4.1 and older devices that cannot will still have 12064 error issues!

0 Kudos
callegrafi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have also just experienced this on a single app and on a single device..

In our case it was a teacher that had installed the app from Apple Appstore and we had forgot to add "Make App MDM Managed if User Installed" on the assignment!

0 Kudos
BendikSygnestve
Contributor
Contributor

We've had this happen for several users this week. We get "Install command failed" on an app, go to more-troubleshooting on the device and get the "Cannot retrieve license" error. When this happens the user can't install any applications and we see the same error message for every app. Then suddenly within a few days it seems to resolve itself and the apps start installing. 

All VPP certs up to date, more than enough licenses, iOS up to date, enough storage, etc, etc. 

Now i just fixed this by reuploading VPP certificates, even though they were well up to date, and syncing assets. Went to an iPad with this issue to test manual installation and it worked. 

Not sure if this is a permanent solution as it sounds a bit too easy to be true, will have to keep an eye on it but it worked in this case. 

EDIT: Seems it was a temporary solution, issue came back after a week or so.

0 Kudos
MarkSchwantje
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

BendikSygnestve - What do you mean by "reuploading all my VPP certificates"? Are you talking about renewing the cert under "VPP Managed Distribution"?

0 Kudos