VMware Workspace ONE Community
Jenslov
Contributor
Contributor

Enrolling 1 to 1 iPads with Managed Apple ID

We have recently started to look in to Apple School Manager and the Education part in Workspace ONE UEM, and so far we have figured out how to enroll Shared iPads using the Managed Apple ID created in ASM. However, what we are looking for is to enroll 1 to 1 iPads using the Managed Apple ID, meaning that the device should be automatically configured with iCloud (just like a shared iPad). Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction, please.
//Niklas
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
callegrafi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Niklas, have you heard anything about this? We wonder the same thing!
0 Kudos
Jenslov
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Carl,

I have done a lot of testing and investigation regarding this and made some progress but also ran in to some new problems and showstoppers.
I do have managed to get a meeting with VmWares ASM expert in mid December, and hopefully I have a better view on this after that. I am happy to share my findings after this meeting, plese remind me again.
0 Kudos
callegrafi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

After a few hours of troubleshooting I have found the error..
If I move an ipad to our top OG it installs a profile called AppleEducationProfile and then I can see the managed Apple ID and class in settings on the ipad.
We are on SaaS cn763 so I will create a support ticket on this.
0 Kudos
callegrafi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Niklas, how did the meeting with the ASM expert go?
Our support ticket is still open and I have sent logs to Vmware that are being analyzed.
0 Kudos
ChristineDratva
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Carl,
where is the AppleEducationProfile coming from?
I tried he same thing as you, putting it in the top OG, but no profile ...
On the other hand I have no problem using Managed Apple ID on 1-1 iPads.
Just the setting up the classes especially modifying the classes for Classroom isn't very flexible ...
0 Kudos
callegrafi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi there!
We actually got this solved a couple of days ago.. We had a corrupted DEP profile that was causing the problems, when we removed it it works perfectly!
You have to setup Education on the top level OG in Settings  or  Devices & Users  or  Apple  or  Education
You also have to map the managed Apple IDs to enrollment users under Monitor  or  Education  or  Members

Here is a good document, https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workspace-ONE-UEM/1912/WS1_School_Manager_Doc.pdf

If you still have problems, create a support ticket.
0 Kudos