VMware Workspace ONE Community
treverjackson
Contributor
Contributor

Enable citext for external Horizon DB

Does anyone know how to setup the Postgres DB that's required for production Horizon Workspace?

So far, I've created the db, added a user and created a schema called saas that it appears to be asking for. It's now asking for citext to be enabled on the db but I'm not sure how to do it.

8 Replies
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

We are in the final stages of publishing a document explaining how to setup an external database. Please ping me privately for more info.

0 Kudos
JockeJoakim
Contributor
Contributor

Hello you,

We have done this ourselves by figuring things out by our own. There is very little or no documentation all on this issue. From my point of view Workspace 1.0 is a joke in so many ways.

I am not a database guy, but here it goes: You have created a new empty DB and workspace is complaining about the citext extension is missing.

If you are running PGAdmin, under your new DB -> Right click Extensions and create new. Name it "citext"

Under defentitions select schema; public

and version 1.0

Simple as that. It has worked for us. Unfortunately we have run in to several other issues along the way.

GLHF

kzelenko
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Actually, the "Configuring an External Database" topic in the Horizon Workspace documentation - https://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/horizon-workspace-pubs.html (see Intalling Installing Horizon Workspace, pages 56-58) covers most of the issues above, specifically CITEXT requirement.

We would definitely improve Workspace documentation based on your feedback.

0 Kudos
SubhoMUS
Contributor
Contributor

I am new to PostGres DB installation and was wondering which version of PostGres DB OVF should I use for Horizon Workspace. I found VMware-vFabric-Postgres-appliance-9.2.2.0-997837_OVF10.ova when searching for PostGres under All Downloads. However when I seached for vFabric PostGres I also fond an appliance :: vFabric Postgres Appliance - Release Date 2012-10-16, ersion: V9.1.6.0 [Binary (.ova)]. Was wondering which one would be a better option to use.

Subho

0 Kudos
CXSANGUY
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Neither one appears to meets the CITEXT requirement at least upon deployment.

I am unsure if there is some way to add it.

EDIT: See below for what I've now tested as working from scratch.

0 Kudos
treverjackson
Contributor
Contributor

We are using the 9.2 vFabric Postgres Appliance with Horizon and it is working very well.

The CITEXT extension is simply aded to the database schema after creating the database.

0 Kudos
CXSANGUY
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My concern here is more that I have to stamp my name and companies name on these installs (As a VMware View Consultant) and I prefer being certain through documentation or direct VMware confirmation that what I do is correct.

In the interim though the following steps appear to work for me:

Deploy vFabric Postgres Virtual Appliance (Specify fixed IP Address)

Manually create "horizon" user account - Using https://x.x.x.x:8443/

Manually add database "horizon" for "horizon" user account

Right-Click Horizon DB->Enter SQL Code->CREATE EXTENSION IF NOT EXISTS citext WITH SCHEMA public; [EXECUTE]

(You could also i suppose just add a new type under "other objects" in the GUI but the above is how i tested it from scratch)

Manually create schema "saas" (Do NOT check case sensitive) under horizon schemas

During Horizon Install or Afterwards enter JDBC URL = jdbc:postgresql://x.x.x.x/horizon?stringtype=unspecified

SUCCESS!

0 Kudos
rsjensen
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry this took some time but here is some guidance on this subject.

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-22915

A small guide on using external vFabric Postgres with Horizon Workspace.

0 Kudos