VMware Workspace ONE Community
JordonC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Email and Notification Delay

Has anybody noticed any email delays and notifications delays since moving to IOS 13?  This is using SEG and the Native IOS mail client.  Everything was working good with Boxer and ENS but with the whole contacts debacle we have moved back to IOS Native Email until we 100% sure Boxer is fixed.  But since moving back to IOS native email is all over the place.  Sometimes the notifications are instant.  Other times it may be over an hr.  And sometimes a notification will come in....but when you open the mail client the email isn't there yet.  Have to close the mail app and re-open it before its there.  Im trying to figure out if this is an IOS issue or a SEG issue. 
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Hi Jordan,

I'm so glad you created this post as I learned about this since last Friday as well. It affected users using the native mail client on iOS 13 devices. We are running Exchange 2016 on-premises and we also have SEG v2. Below are some of the issues reported:

- When user is deleting emails on his phone they come back when the email gets updated. Pushing the email solved the issue but the issue returned a few days later.
Pushed the email now to temporarily solve the issue, user wants us to follow up on why this keeps happening.
- User loses connection to exchange server and it doesn't reconnect. Tried deleting the app and removing the profile management then re-added the account which had his email working for the day until he went home and overnight it loses connection and never re-connects back.
- Been having the same issues since the beta, now on 13.1.3. Tried un/re-enrolling, deleting and re-installing the mail application, and enabling/disabling mail sync. Each time the issues seems go away temporarily but then comes back.
- Specifically messages that are not being correctly updated as “read” when opened or not appearing w/o forcing a restart of the application. I also get phantom notifications at times. I’m running an iPhone XS and am managed by Airwatch.
- I have been encountering two issues. The first is sometimes when I’m on LTE, the banner notifications come much later than the email does in my inbox. The second is my sent folder on my phone does not match my sent on my inbox.

Best,

Tom
0 Kudos
salmanrehani
Contributor
Contributor

same scenario here
0 Kudos
LeAnnKampeter
Contributor
Contributor

We are experiencing a lot of the same issues.  Segv2, on-prem Exchange 2013, with certificate authentication.  Issues started with iOS 13.
0 Kudos
Boe_K
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For what its worth Jordon the Boxer 5.12 release looks to be addressing the Boxer Contacts bug your having.

Bugs Fixed in 4744 (Added on 10/25)
Resolved an issue with Exchange ActiveSync userAgent for some customers

Improvements in the contact export de-duplication logic
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Anyone had tickets opened with support and heard back just yet?
0 Kudos
Boe_K
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have not Thomas as I've never had any of our users complain of this issue so either its not happening for us or they just aren't reporting it granted our Boxer user base on iOS is pretty small. I suspect that will rapidly change once the Shared Calendar feature launches later this year though.
0 Kudos
antherITguy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm assuming this issue SEG specific?

BTW, 5.12 does not resolve the contact export issue with Boxer.  VMware's solution is now to create an additional EAS iOS Mail profile for syncing of enterprise contacts, outside of Boxer.  Following suite with leaving Boxer.
0 Kudos
matttye
Contributor
Contributor

I don't think it's SEG specific.  I am in the middle of deploying our SEGs, but our live solution is still the legacy Exchange ActiveSync  profiles.  We have iOS users will all kinds of different issues on  native mail/calendar/contacts right now.  Saved email drafts mysteriously disappear, unable to create new drafts, syncyng is hit or miss, notifications show up, but emails dont, and more.  This is a mix ov iOS 13.xx up to and including 13.2.  We are currently on prem 19.03.  Just sharing what we've experienced. 
0 Kudos
JordonC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for everyone chiming in.  I've looked around on the internet and haven't seen too many reports of users having notification issues.  But all of our IOS 13 users are all over the place with the native email client.  And so far it looks like you guys are having the same issues.  But some have SEG and some don't.  SO may be a IOS thing and I will probably get shoulder shrugs when I open a ticket.  I was hoping the issue would go away with 13.2 but email notifications are still delayed and emails don't always sync when the native app is opened.  What sucks is we moved from Boxer while the bugs were worked out.  And the Native is just as bad now.  My end users have to choose between not getting notifications or trust issues with Boxer.  We had several users that had 400,000 plus contacts that the updated Boxer version was not able to remove.  So we ended up just wiping their devices and starting over.  I will keep everyone updated once I get a ticket open tomorrow. 
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

So sounds like we all agree that the issue persists even under iOS 13.2 and it could happen with or without SEG. In this case, it's most likely OS related. We already opened a support ticket with Apple, I wouldn't be surprised if they point the finger back at AirWatch.
0 Kudos
Boe_K
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

iOS 13 has been nothing but buggy which is said when you think how much Apple was praised for the iOS 12 roll out and how it made most devices feel faster. I get more and more requests from our users to migrate to Boxer every day because of their frustration with Apple Mail so for me its a good thing as it helping to increase our foot print/adoption of Boxer on iOS. Since we use the SEG and the ' Managed Device'  policy on the SEG we can't offer Outlook without whistling every device that tries to switch to it so we have just chosen to not even offer it at this point.
0 Kudos
Boe_K
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well I wonder if this is playing a factor in Apple Mail not syncing correctly

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/31/20942043/apple-ios-13-iphone-11-pro-ram-memory-management-app-ba...
0 Kudos