VMware Workspace ONE Community
JuiseFI
Contributor
Contributor

Disable "Make App MDM Managed if User Installed"

Hello forum,

We have Outlook application assigned to all the devices automatically.
In the iOS Outlook assignment we have selected the "Make App MDM managed if User installed".

Assume that user has had their personal Outlook.com account in the Outlook app before enrolling the device to WSO via Hub. So now user gets occasionally a prompt to accept that Outlook would be managed via WSO.

What happens if we now change the setting "Make App MDM managed if User installed"? I guess the user doesn't receive the prompt anymore but are there any other downsides we should consider (apart from the obvious that Outlook application would not be managed by MDM if user had installed the application)?

 

Best regards,
Juise

Reply
0 Kudos
3 Replies
gjohal
Contributor
Contributor

From experience when managing another app (Whatsapp) and removing the Make APP managed option, I believe it doesn't take effect for existing enrolled devices only new ones. EVen when the app was uninstalled & reinstalled it still remained managed, the only way to have 'unmanaged' the app was through wiping the device (iOS in this case). 

Reply
0 Kudos
JuiseFI
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks @gjohal for the insights. It's weird that the app remained managed after uninstall/reinstall.
Maybe WSO still had some data attached to this device/app and after the app appeared again in WSO, it just continued where it left off and took the management back..? Dunno, just guessing.

Anyway, there are about 800 devices that this change would affect, so I'll ponder on what to do as I don't want to do something because of one user and cause something else for 799 users.
As you said, this could only affect on new enrollments so I am thinking that even if I changed the setting, it might not have desired outcome that the prompts (to let MDM manage Outlook) would be stopped from appearing in user's phone.

Reply
0 Kudos
AntonThirifays
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

We have two tickets opened with VMWare at the moment for this, will update with answers.

What we found that worked in some cases is the following :

Unassign app for target device (either exclusion if public app or refining your Assignment Group if VPP)

Delete app locally

Reinstall app from Apple App Store

This fixed some of our cases but is a real pain as when it comes to apps with icloud backups that are sensitive to the users. 

Reply
0 Kudos