VMware Workspace ONE Community
BrianPitt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

DeviceFriendlyName Lookup Value

This question is for both iOS and MacOS devices.

When enrolling a device with either OS via Apple DEP, we use a BasicSingleStage enrollment account to get the system into WSO and then have the system assigned to a user via Batch Import files that include the username / email / etc so when the device enrolls with StagingAccount, it then looks to the Imports to match serial numbers and finding it, assigns that user to the device.  We do this due an issue with where we have SAML Authentication setup (lower Org Group). 

In the Batch Import file downloaded from WSO, one of the fields availabel is DeviceFriendlyName, which I will populate with what the name of the Device will be.  When the import file is loaded and you navigate to Lifecycle / Enrollment Status, you will see the proper name listed for that device.  Once the device itself enrolls via DEP, the device gets assigned to the user specified in the import, but the FriendlyName of the device doesnt change.  If you go to the actual device record in WSO, its named iPad or MacBook Air and not the DeviceFriendlyName I specified in the Import file. 

Does the FriendlyName in the Import file not correspond to the {DeviceFriendlyName} Lookup Value in WSO?  If not, why are they named the same thing?  This isnt a big deal with iPad and iPhones, but with MacOS devices, I want to use the {DeviceFriendlyName} value for the ClientID when setting up profile to add Mac to Active Directory and then with the proper name populated in the Import File, the system would name the Device the same name and the AD record created would have that name.

with the profiles being pushed down after the device is enrolled, it should have the FriendlyName I specified in the Import File, so when the profile runs to add to AD, it would use the FriendlyName as the ClientID and add it properly.  With our AD naming convention and Policies, having the Mac added to AD as ' Macbook Air'  will get it removed from AD after about 15 minutes....

If this needs a better explanation, please let me know.  Basically, I want to know why the DeviceFriendlyName field in Batch Import files doesnt seem to correspond to the Friendly Name of the actual device in WorkSpace One
Labels (1)
2 Replies
LT22
Contributor
Contributor

Still no answer to this I see? 

0 Kudos
psiwi1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you tried changing the device friendly name to 'Custom Friendly Name' before enrolling? 

Settings > Devices & Users > General > Friendly Name > Enable Custom Friendly Name. 

Safely ignore if you have already tried this. 

0 Kudos