VMware Workspace ONE Community
JuiseFI
Contributor
Contributor

Device management modes, Android vs. Workspace One

Hello,

I am slightly confused about the management modes. Google/Android keeps changing the names/modes every now and then but in the Workspace One, there has been only two management modes for corporate owned devices:
-Work Managed (aka. "Fully managed")
-Corporate Owned Personally Enabled

How does these relate to these: (https://docs.samsungknox.com/admin/knox-platform-for-enterprise/device-management-modes.htm)
-Corporate Owned Business Only (COBO)
-Fully managed device with a work profile (FMDWP) (Deprecated on Android 11)
-Separated Apps
-Work profile on company-owned device (WP-C) (New in Android 11)

Why doesn't the Workspace One use same names as Google(Android)?
So if a device is enrolled to Workspace One and the Android version is 10, then it's "Fully managed device with a work profile (FMDWP)", but if that device is updated to Android 12 > factory resetted > then it will be enrolled as "Work profile on company-owned device (WP-C)"
Why aren't these visible in Workspace One? Does it matter somehow that they aren't or are?
Is COBO = Work managed? In the COBO description: ".enterprise owns the device, and doesn't allow personal apps on the device"
Is personal applications strictly forbidden or can they be allowed like in "Work managed" if you allow the adding of personal Google account?

-Jussi

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MatthewSwenson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The link you provide is for Samsung Knox, which is also not Google's list.  Google's list is here:
https://support.google.com/work/android/topic/9621435

So I think your point about Samsung Knox's COBO and FMDWP being similar/equivalent depending on Android version may be accurate (I don't actually use Knox, though).  Ultimately, their offerings, as with WS1, are based on the Google offerings above.

WS1 has basically 3 modes that map to the three modes provided by Google, although there are some nuances, just as with Knox.  You list two, but they kind of combine the "full device management" and "dedicated device management" features and distinguish using profiles, as the "dedicated" type is a superset of the "full" type.  (My interpretation, here.)  WS1 also has a BYOD mode.

Knox might have special arrangements with Google to provide some of their intermediate management modes, whereas WS1 may have decided to go more "vanilla" and use Google's defaults more closely.

Also, Google keeps changing the names of a lot of these management pieces, so some companies like WS1 and Knox have decided to stick with their own names for a while until things settle with Google's naming conventions.  Again, my opinion...

As to your question, I can't open the link you provided, but I found a different link:
https://docs.samsungknox.com/admin/knox-platform-for-enterprise/device-management-modes.htm
(Actually, this appears to be the same link, so not sure why I couldn't use yours...)

I would say that you are looking at the following to allow users to install their own apps freely:

• Knox's BYOD or WP-C
  • WS1's COPE or BYOD
  • Google's Work Profiles mode

Hopefully that made things clearer.  I think the key here is that companies are using a set of 3 Google frameworks to make their own "versions", and sometimes Google lets them access additional APIs to further customize the features they offer.  So I don't think there is a true 1 to 1 comparison between Google's offerings and the offerings you see in UEM products.