VMware Workspace ONE Community
bilderg
Contributor
Contributor

Device has not reported any location data to AirWatch

Hi All,

Many of my devices (Android S9's & S10's) are reporting this when you click the location tab. I've opened a support ticket with AirWatch, but they are stumped. I have confirmed sometimes the device will report a location, so we know it's working sometimes. I've confirmed the device end is all enabled for location services, nothing is blocking. My GPS heartbeat is every 30 minutes so I would expect to see some sort of update. Sometimes if you click on last known, it will give you a location that's 3 days old. Any ideas? Thank you! -Geoff.

Labels (1)
7 Replies
bilderg
Contributor
Contributor

Update, I ran a Device Location Log Report for all of the Devices in my OG. Out of 344 devices, only 5 were reporting. Oddly they were running hub versions 19.x.x.x (Successful) x3, 20.01.x.x (Successful) x2. So for me, the Hub is broke since 20.01.x.x, not getting any device locations. Anyone else? Thank you!

0 Kudos
AVIVEKA
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

"Sometimes if you click on last known, it will give you a location that's 3 days old. Any ideas?"

For your information, On your WS1 UEM Console, you'll have the latest loaction of the device, if the device doesn't change the location since 3 Days, then WS1 UEM will provide the same information, maybe to save battery ...

Have you tried to change the location of the device ?

0 Kudos
bilderg
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Aviveka,

Yes, all of our devices are constantly changing GPS locations. This looks like be an issue with the Hub version. After running a Device Location Log Report, all of our devices in Work Profile are having this location tracking issue... Except devices that have the old version of the Hub. Any device running Hub Version 20.1.x.x and earlier, are reporting location, just fine, every 60 minutes as per heartbeat. They are all enrolled in Android Enterprise Work Profile.

0 Kudos
rsaulitis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi bilderg​,

I had also open ticket with vmware. Here will be quote of last message (message of 22th October) from them

"Please find the known issue ticket number, (BUG- AAGNT-189522 - GPS Location information not getting updated on the console for Work Managed device)

As per the last comment on this case Google has confirmed that they reproduced the issue this week and is looking at how to fix it."

Maybe this is also your case.

Viktah8a
Contributor
Contributor

did you ever find a solution to this problem?

0 Kudos
RicardoPachecoR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you checked if the devices are in Data Saver mode or Power Save mode, and whether the Intelligent Hub is running (background.). Users tend to close, or force close, the app. 

Data saver is not as critical for this issue as it is Power Save or Battery Saver mode(s). When Power Save / Battery Saver mode is enabled, the Intelligent Hub is probably not allowed to run in the background to save battery. Only system process will run in the background. You can add Intelligent Hub to the list of apps Allowed to run in the background. It can be done manually by the user. Not sure if this can be done via WS1. 

Data saver is more along the lines of restricting devices from using cell services. 

0 Kudos
MatthewSwenson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can I just say the location collection in AirWatch is garbage and barely useful for Android?  I cannot speak for iOS.  This has always been a sore spot for us.  People have complained on the forums and via tickets for years, and nothing has happened.

I have never (never) gotten location to work reliably.  I have a fleet of 500-1,000 devices.  The majority are set to collect location every few hours and report multiple times per day.    Some give me a few points every day.  The majority seem to give me between 0 and 8 points per month.  There are a LOT that are at the 0-1 points level...  Location is rarely up to date (meaning multiple checkin points have passed since the last GPS reading, and the device is definitely on and in use).

We updated a group of 100+ units to report pretty much as often as possible (5 minutes; reporting every 1 or 4 hours), and I still have devices with stale locations (multiple days old) or no locations during the month in that group.  I did check and just over 1/3 of 50 devices are reporting close to expected.  At least 1/3 are reporting nothing in the past month.  The others are sporadic.

All of our devices have WiFi and cellular data with roaming, so connectivity should not be an issue.

Honestly, I believe the timer to request GPS is either not going off, or it is failing silently and not retrying.

Regardless, something is dropping the ball, because I believe I should be seeing GPS within the last couple hours on 80% of my devices during the day.  I believe there is a fundamental problem with something in the GPS collection process in Android.

Furthermore, we are usually able to get real-time GPS from other apps during times that WS1/AirWatch is not reporting.

Our devices crash if Data Saver gets turned on.  And our users are not likely to turn on the battery saver.  We had issues with a previous device which was wifi-only as well.

0 Kudos