RichB2u2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Device-based iOS apps not updating

Jump to solution

We noticed since September 2020 (over two months ago) the apps in our system are not updating the "Latest Version" displayed to match the real latest version shown in the Apple App store. As a consequence the apps are not updating and are not automatically installing updates.

For example, iOS Microsoft Teams "Latest Version" shows in the console as version 2.0.22 (see attachment) but in reality it should be 2.1.0 (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/microsoft-teams/id1113153706). This happens across all 40 of our Organizational Groups (OG) with unique sTokens from Apple School Manager. All our apps are set to device-based licenses since user's do not use Apple ID's. All apps are set to "Enable Auto-Update." Selecting "Update App" has no effect. Selecting "Manage Devices" and then "Install On Filtered" (all devices) sends an install command and eventually they all get the real current version. That takes care of one app for one OG. We have over 5,000 app configurations!

Support ticket 20176482612 getting nowhere yet.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RichB2u2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We got this solved by re-adjusting the Scheduler settings. Because we were having an issue with the tasks not running per schedule like the AD user group syncing, we had made adjustments to the Scheduler tasks. For example the "VPP Auto Update" schedule had a warning "Recurrence Frequency Must be Greater Than or Equal To 10 mins." but was set at 5 minutes. It had been changed to every hour. Other schedules were adjusted to improve system performance as well as disabling schedules for things we weren't using in our on-premise environment (Windows, Android, Email, Repository). This made the system start working for other scheduled tasks but the apps were not updating automatically. Support was contacted and the answer was to ignore the warning and reset the "VPP Auto Update" schedule to every 5 minutes! We also changed the "Device Based VPP Apps to Track Update" from every 5 hours to once a day. All the apps are now auto-updating correctly.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RichB2u2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We got this solved by re-adjusting the Scheduler settings. Because we were having an issue with the tasks not running per schedule like the AD user group syncing, we had made adjustments to the Scheduler tasks. For example the "VPP Auto Update" schedule had a warning "Recurrence Frequency Must be Greater Than or Equal To 10 mins." but was set at 5 minutes. It had been changed to every hour. Other schedules were adjusted to improve system performance as well as disabling schedules for things we weren't using in our on-premise environment (Windows, Android, Email, Repository). This made the system start working for other scheduled tasks but the apps were not updating automatically. Support was contacted and the answer was to ignore the warning and reset the "VPP Auto Update" schedule to every 5 minutes! We also changed the "Device Based VPP Apps to Track Update" from every 5 hours to once a day. All the apps are now auto-updating correctly.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos