JamieAndersonJa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Device Updates for iOS

Console version is 20.01.07 on-prem.

Has anyone had luck using WS1 to actually force an iPhone or iPad to install an iOS update? We are testing this using the Device Updates page as well as Device Details -> Updates. There is no issue downloading but when the install command is sent the device throws an error, Unable to install update - An error occurred installing iOS. I'm trying to update my iPhone 8+ from 3.4 to 3.4.1. The device is on WiFi, fully charged, and connected to power.

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
ekossac
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

i got the same question, maybe it doesnt work combined with a restriction profile, delaying the updates in general?

0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Does it happen to just one or multiple iPhones?

0 Kudos
ekossac
Contributor
Contributor

It doesnt matter which option i take, i can schedule it under the device update section, it works for some devices but not all of them. Pushing it directly to a specific device doesnt always work either.


We only have a few supervised devices so far, my thinking was to have a restriction profile with 30 days os update delay for example while beeing able to override those 30 days with a scheduled update assigment.

It happens for multiple iPhones aswell as iPads.

0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Can you try testing on one or more supervised devices without any restriction profile/payload?

0 Kudos
ekossac
Contributor
Contributor

I havent activated the delay in updates at the moment, wanted to check if that solves the problem but i wont get to that before wednsday.

0 Kudos
DimitrijPrudkij
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think you can push ios updates from console to device, BUT your users must to confirm that he like to update his device. Without this you can not update this device.

I assign ios update to user group and choose "download and install" so I see in console that update is already download on device but user not accept this. After that I created compliance policy and email notification for every day to users which are not update devices.

May be you can post screenshot with error message.

Sorry for my english.

Regards,

Dimitri

0 Kudos
charleskennedy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Jamie,

 

Did you find a resolution for this? Currently having the same issues updating to 14.8 on multiple devices.

 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
RicardoPachecoR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Device Updates for iOS does work. However, here is what I have found.

Devices must be supervised, on Wi-Fi and preferably plugged to power. 


If you have a Restrictions profile with OS delay, the number of days must be within range for the update you want to install. 

For example:
On 2021.09.24, I wanted to install 14.8 (released on 2021.09.13). So, I changed my delay from 90 days to 10 days. This allows me to push 14.8 while keeping users from installing 15.

NOTE: If you want to keep users from installing 15, you will need to update the number of days until you are ready for them to take iOS 15 - release date for iOS 15 was on 2021.09.20.

To use Device Updates:

1) I created a Smart Group with criteria that would pick up the devices I wanted to update (based on iOS version). [ Apple iOS less than or equal to 14.7.1]

2) Under Device Updates, I created an assignment, assigned the Smart Group, set a date and time. Now, for the available options, the biggest factor is whether the device has a passcode or not.


If the device has a passcode - I recommend to just trigger the "Download, but not install". Then, follow up with email to users to navigate to the device's Software Update screen (Settings -> General -> Software Update). The user can tap on Install Now and provide passcode. As I understand, user interaction is a requirement from Apple.

If the device does NOT have a passcode, Download and Install should work. I've had mixed results. Just keep in mind that the device will reboot at one point when the download is completed. Download times can vary from 20 minutes to 2 hours - it is dependent on update package size, Wi-Fi speed, number of users associated with AP, etc. If the device went to 'sleep', the user will be prompted to update the device when they 'wake up' the devices. The Update Installation takes ~30 minutes.

Hope this helps and post your your experience with the updates.