VMware Workspace ONE Community
ChrisGeorgeChri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Device Check In iOS (not checking in)

I seem to be having an issue with my iOS devices not checking in, as now 98% of the devices have fallen into the16-30 Day 'last seen' category. It seems to only be for iOS, as all of my Android devices are up to date in the console. I opened a ticket with support and the official answer I got was that the Agent application needs to always be running in the background for the console and the device to sync. My past experience has been that this is not the case as I never had my AW app running on my device and my device would check in so it never fell out of that 0-3 'last seen breakdown' in the console.

I have a feeling this is related to the Agent version (5.3) and my console version 8.1.5.0. It seems like the devices stopped checking in right around the time Agent 5.3 came to the app store.

Is anybody else seeing this issue with iOS devices only?

Thanks!
Labels (1)
44 Replies
sax_man424
Contributor
Contributor

When you launch the AirWatch Agent on a device experiencing the issue does the agent state the connectivity is normal?
0 Kudos
ChrisGeorgeChri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, it does. This only started a couple of weeks ago and to all iOS devices.
0 Kudos
ChristiH
Contributor
Contributor

If you are SaaS, we've experienced this a couple of times and had to have a DB ticket opened to clean up our DB.
0 Kudos
ChrisGeorgeChri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Christi - We're self hosted, so perhaps I should modify the ticket I have open with them about this to see if our DB needs cleanup?
0 Kudos
sax_man424
Contributor
Contributor

Is your APNs Certificate still valid? To check, in the AirWatch Console navigate to ' Groups and Settings->Devices & Users -> Apple -> APNs For MDM' .
0 Kudos
ChrisGeorgeChri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Brent - It's good until 2/2017.
0 Kudos
KarlaMelo
Contributor
Contributor

Can I use the script for 2017? I only have 20 days to renew apns for apps.
Would somebody explain me?

Best Regards
0 Kudos
WatsonDoug
Contributor
Contributor

I'm experiencing a similar issue, all our IOS devices are not checking into the AirWatch Console we haven't seen an IOS device for 10 days. While trouble shooting the issue I found that when  a user opens the AirWatch Agent then the device will check in. This only happens on some devices, but I have observed while opening an Agent on a device the user receives a Pop up from IOS  stating  ' Allow Agent to access your location even when you are not using the app?'  after which point the device shows up in the console. Some user need only open the AirWatch Agent and then connectivity to the Airwatch console is restored.  I'm not sure if this issue stems from the latest Agent version 5.4.1 or IOS 10.2.1
0 Kudos
JamesCorrJamesC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just wondering, do the devices respond to commands properly even though the last seen time is out of date?
If you send a query or lock command does it process right away if the device is powered on? If it process the command does it update the last seen time?

0 Kudos
NPMott
Contributor
Contributor

If you are on-prem, please make sure to check that all of your AirWatch services are running on your servers.  I have seen this same behavior when the Entity Change Queue Monitor and/or the Cloud Connector services are not running.
0 Kudos
svizcarra2013
Contributor
Contributor

I am having a similar problem. iOS devices not updating ' Last Seen' . Not responding to Lock commands..
0 Kudos
RyanAubrey
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue.
0 Kudos
JamieAndersonJa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you tried running a Fiddler trace from an iOS device to see where the connectivity might be breaking? When you open the agent you should see the device try to communicate back. If your using a reverse proxy it's possible the issue is there. We have had problems with ASM polices blocking devices from checking in. Since your having this issue with a specific OS platform, it sounds like a fingerprinting issue.

You do not need the agent running in the background for ' last seen'  . Last seen is just a ping that AW makes to the device. Do your FW logs show any blocked traffic coming in?
0 Kudos
EdLovato
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here
0 Kudos
syarbrou
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So here's an odd one. I am on 8.4.7 on premise fully. All of a sudden noticed all my iOS devices were failing to report in. Talking to the users they were actively using the devices. Couldn't figure it out after hours communicating with our network team and finding no traffic which was confusing. So I have the agent hidden visually on my iPad's. Pushed an app update to all the devices. And bamn, devices started communicating. Lots of them. Almost like Apple devices will not report a last seen date if there is nothing to do?

Thanks.

Steve

0 Kudos
EdLovato
Contributor
Contributor

Kind of sounds like a scheduler issue.  Go to Groups & Settings > All Settings > Under Admin click on Scheduler > See if any of the tasks are not active.  If they are, turn them On and see if that corrects the issue.
0 Kudos
syarbrou
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Ed, only ones off are:

- MDM Application List Sample
- Query Feedback Service
- VPP Revoke Licenses
- Windows Phone Status Check

Do you think those are relevant?

Thanks.

Steve
0 Kudos
syarbrou
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For me turning on List Sample it started working again.  Still have a device or two not checking in anymore and not sure why, but apparently someone thought ' Sample'  was a sample job and disabled it.

Steve
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

*chuckles* @ ' sample'  comment 🙂
0 Kudos