VMware Workspace ONE Community
Bobwardt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Deploying outlook 365

Hi all, my company so far have been using the IOS native email profile for managing emails, we are now on office 365 and they want to allow outlook.

We have the email compliance policy block unmanaged devices enabled.
This policy blocks the outlook app as it see it as unmanaged due to not using Active sync.
If I apply the mail client policy and allow Outlook would this work?

Would the unmanaged policy still apply to anyone not managed with outlook but allow outlook on managed devices?

What is the best way that you all manage outlook?

We will still be deploying the native email to provide choice.

I know we have to configure the outlook app in the apps section.

many thanks in advance

Labels (1)
10 Replies
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Hi Robert,

I'm in a similar boat as you and wonder if you have the same setup we are going through right now. Since you mentioned an email compliance policy, I believe you have an SEG. Correct? And is your MS Exchange on-premises or hosted in the cloud?

In my case, we have MS Exchange on-premises and SEG on the backend with a native mail client on mobile devices. We are rolling out Outlook app but due to lack of support for Exchange Active Sync with such app, we have to set up Workspace ONE Access (or Identity Manager) along with turning on modern authentication in Exchange. I wonder if you have the same or similar setup as me.

Tom
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Feel free to private message me on LinkedIn if you like.
0 Kudos
Bobwardt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Thomas, we have a different set up, no SEG only ACC on prem. we have a hybrid exchange, the emails look to outlook.office.com. outlook 365 does not use active sync it uses The protocol RPC over HTTP. That is why WS1 MEM & EAS policies don't detect the connection because it's not using the ActiveSync protocol so marks it unmanaged.

We do not use identity manager
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Are you using PowerShell integration instead of SEG?
0 Kudos
Bobwardt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes
0 Kudos
Bobwardt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the pre-configured deployment of outlook worked out but it is being blocked in the mail section I have tried a new compliance of allow mail client Outlook-iOS/2.0 it finds my phone but outlook is blocked.
I presume it is still seen as unmanaged as per the unmanaged policy.
The only other way I can think off is to use the groups policy and turn off the unmanaged.
Has anyone got any ideas?
0 Kudos
JohnMarler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We are going to be moving to office 365 and have considered outlook, so I find this point interesting. I am sorry, I do not have a solution. I thought I would follow up and ask: Did you ever found a solution? Did support give you any help?
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Hi John. Glad to see you here as it's been a while and Happy New Year!

Guess soon we will be chatting via the VMware forum instead?
0 Kudos
JohnMarler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Thomas! I am glad you mentioned that. I think I totally missed that things are moving over there! Just to be sure we are on the same page, are you talking about this? https://blogs.vmware.com/euc/2019/12/workspace-one-forums-vmtn.html
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Spot on John!
0 Kudos