VMware Workspace ONE Community
FedericoLillacc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dell Command Update, which version should I use?

Hello, which version of Dell Command Update should I use with WS1 UEM? 2.4 or 3.1?

Documentation says ( https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workspace-ONE-UEM/1912/Windows_Desktop_Device_Management/GUID-AWT-... ) that the latest version should be selected, so the 3.1 should be the right one, am I wrong?
Labels (1)
4 Replies
BenArons
Contributor
Contributor

My experience has shown that their documentation is often wrong, out of date, or just excludes important caveats. We have never been able to get any version except for 2.4 to work. That said, we have not tried 3.1 yet! YMMV. Let us know if you try it and what the results are!
0 Kudos
FedericoLillacc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Ben, thanks for your response.
I agree, WS1 documentation is something that VMware should definitely improve.

I'm going to test 3.1 in the next few days and I'll post here the results.
0 Kudos
EMMJunkie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

federicoflautas

Use v3.1, I believe this is the latest version.

Here is the initial document on deployment - Integrating with Dell Client Command Suite: VMware Workspace ONE Operational Tutorial | VMware

Subsequently I found the following, which I used to troubleshoot issues I was having - Dell Command | Update 3.1 Tips and Tricks for Workspace ONE UEM Integration | VMware

As an FYI, it took +- 15 minutes for the OEM Updates Profile to get deployed to the endpoint, and took +- 4 hours for the Updates to be scanned and populated into the OEM updates portion of the Workspace ONE UEM console and probably +- 10 hours for the reboot prompt to be received by the device.

JosueNegron
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I am the author of both of those docs. Please let me know if you run into any issues. If Windows Notification Services (WNS) is working on the device, then the Dell Command | Update install and profile should be sent down in near real-time. If WNS is not working, right-clicking on the Workspace ONE Intelligent Hub in the system tray and clicking Sync should kick this process off right away. More details in Troubleshooting Windows 10: VMware Workspace ONE Operational Tutorial | VMware.

Everyone should be using 3.1.x as its the latest version and has some new features as mentioned in the blog article.