VMware Workspace ONE Community
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Delay Updates (Days) for OS

Hi all, Question on this feature for iOS devices.

Once enabled, does it mean:

A) device won't be able to update to the latest release available for up to 90 days REGARDLESS when the device was initially enrolled, or

B) device won't be able to update to the latest release available for up to 90 days AFTER the device is initially enrolled into AirWatch

If it's choice A, that would be best to ensure users don't get to update to the latest version once it's released for download.

If it's choice B, that might be bad as users will be able to download the latest version any time once 90 days pass.

Tom

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
KEVINSCHELLINGE
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Tom,

We(my company) really welcomed this feature. From what I gather after using this for the last 2 or so iOs updates is this is how it works.

Once the iOs update drops, is the START date. This cannot be changed and is not up to you. So for instance if the update drops on the 10th, but you don't even catch it to implement the delay until the 12th, the (up to) 90 days starts on the 10th.

Now you set how many days (up to 90) you want delayed. So if your not sure set it for 90 or whatever.

You have 90 days now (biased on the setting you just made) before its automatically overridden and users can download.

When you are ready, say you test in and are approved for general use in 20 days. you need to go back to your policy and change it to 19 days for it to be released.

I have ours set at 15 days. Generally what we take to get our ducks in a row. If they want it released before then, I have to back down the number of days so for instance, if we are ready at 13 days. Ill change the policy to 12 days and it will allow all users to update.

I WISH there was a magic button that you can leave the policy in place(for me 15 days) and hit a RELEASE button instead of back dating but thats how i understand this delay to work. Anyone else have more info please let us know.

Also, not to hijack the conversation but the OE may appreciate the answer too. Is there a way to be notified when an iOs update drops? I have begged and pleaded with Apple, AW and any other vendor. Some say ' your on the list'  but...I never get any message, I find out by accident sometimes 2 days later

0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Thanks, Kevin. So sounds like it's the choice below then.

A) device won't be able to update to the latest release available for up to 90 days REGARDLESS when the device was initially enrolled.
0 Kudos
KEVINSCHELLINGE
Contributor
Contributor

Correct. Its however long you choose up to 90days from when the update drops. GL!
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

No wonder you wish to stay notified whenever a release is made available. Best to rely on the Twitter feed for this I guess.
0 Kudos