VMware Workspace ONE Community
alextsa
Contributor
Contributor

Data and Application Partition on iOS MDM device

Hi all

I am a newbie to workspace one, so would like to seek expert here to help.

In Android MDM, both public and internal application deployed are partitioned in work profile, so data for those managed App are in a separated space, then all applications (both internal and public) will be removed after Enterprise Wipe.  So may I know iOS managed by workspace one also perform like this?  I tried to deploy public application to iOS, but the applications are still here after Enterprise Wipe, and is the data partitioned from personal one? Or we must use registered mode to achieve this?

Best regards

Alex Tsang

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
3 Replies
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Hi Alex,

Welcome aboard. Be sure to enable 'Remove On Unenroll' under Restrictions. I would also enable the others for better security.

Workspace ONE UEM Console - Google Chrome 2020-10-.png

rterakedis
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

alextsa​ - iOS and iPadOS work in two different ways:

1. When enrolled with automated enrollment (via Apple business manager), web enrollment, or hub-based enrollment, there is a concept of "managed" versus "unmanaged" data and apps.  You can control whether unmanaged apps can interact with managed apps and data (and vice versa) via two checkboxes in the iOS restrictions profile.   This concept of "managed vs unmanaged" means that everything is on a shared APFS partition on the device, but the OS is tracking what was put there by MDM and then will remove it during an enterprise wipe.   Examples include volume-purchased, managed apps (or public apps that are then "taken over" by MDM to become managed apps), books, and content such as managed email accounts.
  2. When enrolled via Apple's new "User Enrollment" flow, there is a separate APFS partition created to store enterprise data separately from personal data.   This means UEM can only query and manage data and apps on the "work" partition related to User enrollment. All physically identifying attributes of the device are obfuscated.  

Now, as far as for the behavior of the public app that you mentioned, this is expected behavior UNLESS you've added a location token from Apple Business Manager to your account, and delivered that app to the device as a managed, volume-purchased app.  (or, if it was a public app installed by the user's personal Apple ID, you've delivered it as a managed VPP app with the flag to "Make App MDM Managed if User Installed").   Basically, if you send the app using the "Public" apps tab in Workspace ONE UEM, then it's more of a "suggestion" that the end-user installs the app.  Apps sent using the "Purchased" or "Internal" apps tab in Workspace ONE UEM are considered fully managed.

The above behavior is a fundamental difference between how i[Pad]OS works compared to Android.  

Hope that helps!

Rob

alextsa
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos