VMware Workspace ONE Community
coachdk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Data Roaming Android Enterprise

Hello, we are currently using Google Pixel 3 devices with Zero Touch Enrollment and in COPE mode.

One of our users called me this morning, that he is not able to activate data roaming on his device. Usually our users have no business trips to other countries, so there was no use case covering this while configuring Android Enterprise. I did some tests and everytime a profile with restricion payload configured is installed, even if everything is allowed, the data roaming setting got disabled on the device. There is no checkbox which is related to roaming in the restriction profile.

I also checked the developers documentation for android (https://developers.google.com/android/work/requirements) and at point 4.24.4 the roaming setting is explained. Can someone confirm this behaviour or got in touch with support because of this?

We are currently on version 18.11.0.13 on-premise.

Thanks, Daniel

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TrumanClark
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We had a similar issue. This is the workaround I used.

Export your profile as XML

Find the section that has all the settings from Restrictions

Copy the section starting with '

Go back into your profile and remove the Restrictions payload

Add the Custom Settings payload

Paste what you copied from the XML

Change the value for allowDataRoaming from ' False'  to ' True'

Save and Publish

When I did this I still had all my normal restrictions in place but now the option to allow data roaming was unlocked so users can enable it.

I think the issue with what Airwatch support gave you is it didn't have all the other options of the Restrictions payload which is why you lost the other options like disabling access to Google accounts, etc.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JWBull
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We have the same issue,

I have spoken to airwatch who confirm its a know bug and is fixed in version 1902.
They Advised to add the following to a custom XML to a new profile

' <characteristic uuid=' 3f500b4f-5e76-4168-a751-ac8f3e6a0c9a'  
type=' com.airwatch.android.androidwork.restrictions'  target=' 2' >
<parm name=' allowDataRoaming'  value=' True'  />
</characteristic>
'

But at the moment i do not recommend this as it caused more issues to our devices (removed google account restrictions)

Thanks

Jack

0 Kudos
MatthewSwenson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I think we might be having this issue...  We will have to double-check on this.  Honeywell CT60-L1N.  I say ' might,'  because so far I have no evidence that the roaming setting is becoming disabled, and previous tests with the profile removed didn't necessarily improve behavior.  But, I will have to play around with this.
0 Kudos
TrumanClark
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We had a similar issue. This is the workaround I used.

Export your profile as XML

Find the section that has all the settings from Restrictions

Copy the section starting with '

Go back into your profile and remove the Restrictions payload

Add the Custom Settings payload

Paste what you copied from the XML

Change the value for allowDataRoaming from ' False'  to ' True'

Save and Publish

When I did this I still had all my normal restrictions in place but now the option to allow data roaming was unlocked so users can enable it.

I think the issue with what Airwatch support gave you is it didn't have all the other options of the Restrictions payload which is why you lost the other options like disabling access to Google accounts, etc.

0 Kudos
coachdk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you Jack and Truman,

if some of our users have to leave the country, I am now prepared with a custom profile until VMware releases a patch.

0 Kudos