VMware Workspace ONE Community
J4yJ4y
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

DEP Supervised device losing supervision after device wipe

hi All!

Running WS1 in SaaS(20.11.0.4 (2011)), with approx. 150 Apple IPAD's  ranging version 12.4  to latest version , which is now 14.4
Intelligent HUB is deployed to these Ipads, version 20.11.0.

Apple Business Manager (ABM) integration with WS1 is stable and working for years.

However , last few months I am seeing a new "feature".
Regularly (DEP managed) Ipads are returned by users , that, once they are wiped and rerun setup, are NOT showing the  device setup that should be followed for a DEP managed device.
The device setup wizard shown is the same as if the DEP profile was unassigned from  the device. Which is rather not the case.
Apple Business manager and WS1 DEP profile and profile assignment to devices is untouched.

This is not happening to all returned devices, but it's happening on a weekly basis.
Have not yet been able to discover any regularity as to exactly which devices are affected.
There are some work arounds to mitigate the issue, i.e. like a software update in the Ipad GUI (to IOS 14.4) followed by a "erase all content & settings" in the IPAD  UI as well.

Talked to Apple support on this case, and they are seeing DEP profiles being unassigned. Which, again , is not done from the WS1 Console, nor on the device manually , nor in the ABM admin interface. So, it's the consequence of the Device Wipe initiated in the Console.
Opened a case with VMware, which is still open.

Is anyone experiencing the same issue?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
gmanjohal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, I had something similar-ish, the DEP profile was failing but not on all devices. I created a new DEP profile (identical to the previous) and re-assigned the devices to that, haven't had issues with it since. 

0 Kudos