VMware Workspace ONE Community
BDBos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

DEP Staging User enrollment /single user /not working.

Hello!

I have iOS devices which are in DEP. I want this to enroll the devices in Workspace with a staging user. Then with the Hub applications (pushed with VPP) i want to register the device on a user.

Below a video showing this flow and the VMware documentation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc4hF7_03Jc
https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-AirWatch/9.1/vmware-airwatch-guides-91/GUID-AW91-UseProfileWizard....

In the past we also had this working in this way. However, this is not working at the moment. Whatever we have tried, once we open the 'Hub' App on the device there is no possibility to log in and / or register the device for a user.

DEP Settings:
Authentication Off
Single User – Stages device for a single, known user.

Only staging users are available as Default Enrollment User options. Once the end users open the AirWatch Agent, they must enter their credentials to enroll the staged device. Then the device details update in the AirWatch Console and the device is associated with that end user. ^ This does not work (anymore).

We use the 'Default Staging User'. If we create a new user with the staging options: Enable Device Staging: Enebled, Single User Devices: Enabled and Single User Devices: Advanced - Enroll on behalf of another user. We can not select this user in the DEP configuration. Maybe there is also something what is going wrong here.

Are there more who experience problems with this? Or does it just works?
We are running on-prem 18.11

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Ibbers
Contributor
Contributor

Did you end up making progress with this?
0 Kudos
KeithHallKeithH
Contributor
Contributor

Curious about this myself. I have a VP starting today. It would be nice to have this phone staged with the default staging user. Anyone know how to set this up?
My environment is SaaS, we use DEP and VPP for multiple applications.
0 Kudos
snold
Contributor
Contributor

Did anyone get a resolution to this?  I built macbooks via DEP with single user staging. Corporate Owned. I had some work as expected last week, but not this week.
0 Kudos
BDBos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Problem still not solved. Anyone?
0 Kudos
J4yJ4y
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Ben ,

I have no issues with DEP and staging, neither with Advanced staging on behalf of a specific user.
What do you mean with '  We can not select this user in the DEP configuration' ?
Following the steps in the youtube video, where exactly are you stuck?

0 Kudos
jpjp1
Contributor
Contributor

was there any progress on this ? i have contacted support as i get “Staging users are not supported. Please contact your administrator.”  Any thoughts ?

0 Kudos
jpjp1
Contributor
Contributor

ok, i think i figured it out. use 2 dep profiles and assign one with a staging (no authentication) to the 2nd one, keeping the first with regular authentication. make sure the user selected in the 2nd one has multi-user set in the profile under staging in Airwatch.

seems to work so far.

chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

I'm a little confused. My setup requires a single DEP profile with a staging account with Single User Staging enabled. No authentication is required during staging, and user simply enters his/her AD credential to log into the Hub app which then associates the device accordingly in AirWatch console. This has worked for me for years.

I implemented similar setup for multi-user devices which provide even better ROI since anyone with an AD account can log into the Hub app on the device and use it. Once he/she finishes, they simply log out and another user can then log in the same way.

0 Kudos
jpjp1
Contributor
Contributor

so it sounds like you have set 'no authentication' at the dep profile level. I have set this so i can do custom enrollment with terms and conditions. so now i have 2 dep profiles set (1 with authentication prior to displaying home screen, and 1 set to no authentication with a staging user with properties multi-user staging) . this allows default 95% of our fleet to be enrolled when delivered to end user single use, and the other ones can be assigned the second dep profile prior to delivery as a multi user device. seems to work so far, only a bit of delay auto apps on log out / logon . and once the devices are wiped, they get back to the multi user.

0 Kudos
Viktor4
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Whereas you can use default staging account for DEP devices, you cannot use same account to authenticate to the Intelligent Hub application and this is by design. Staging accounts are not built to authentication.

You can use either basic (cloud) or AD accounts to authenticate and have the device assigned to that account but having staging section enabled, auth will fail. 

0 Kudos