VMware Workspace ONE Community
softcatdan
Contributor
Contributor

Content Gateway - No files from DFS shares - Admin Repository

Share is \\company.corp\folder\destination\ all exists on DFS, used to work fine a couple of years back on the old windows version.

Deployed UAG 3.8 and when trying to access the repository from the Content app we just get "There are no files to view" we have tried different users and different shares and see the same result. When testing it in the admin console you get "Connection Succeeded". No errors in the logs that I can see either. I am a bit stuck now.

i am sure I have seen this before but cannot remember how we got past it.

Thoughts?

Labels (1)
7 Replies
HEssig71
Contributor
Contributor

We face the same problem, With UAG 3.9.1. Unfortunately the windows service is not working anymore and it was just deactivated, UAG activated and that´s it...

But we can see in the content app all folders and files, but is not possible to load files. No error at the logs, either of DC and Fileserver, no drops at the network...

I think I´ll do a support case now.

ArsenBandurian
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you see the files/folders, but cannot load them, it means usually that the UAG can access the share, but the device cannot talk to the UAG.

UAG (well, the Content Gateway service on the UAG) indexes the contents of the file shares and stores the metadata in the console.

When device "browses" the file share, device doesn't even talk to UAG - only when you attempt to download files.

I've had such problem several times - all caused by issues with split DNS, routing etc esp for admin repositories that are not templated (i.e. user's own credentials don't matter).

If you have Tunnel deployed on the same UAG it is typically a good indicator for troubleshooting if the issue is between the device and UAG (tunnel won't work either) or UAG and the file share itself (Tunnel would work).

hope his helps.

softcatdan
Contributor
Contributor

Yup fair points, the Tunnel components both VPN and Proxy are working fine so it is less of a connection issue (ports are all open and can telnet into them, a netstat shows the listening ports etc too). Certainly everything tests out fine and we are getting no errors through any of the log files. We don't have a user account associated to the repo (both admin and admin template) so we don't see a file list but this is expected behavior so not concerned about that.

0 Kudos
softcatdan
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah we have this open with support will see what they come back with and update, good luck your side too!

0 Kudos
jahuu
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!
Are there any news? Answers? Solutions? Ideas?
I have the Problem that I cannot create the Admin-Repository which point to a DFS Share - invalid URL. DNS, hosts all set up, Support Call is opened but no solutions so far.

Best Regards

Olaf

0 Kudos
rpleupen
Contributor
Contributor

Let us check some things.

if you right click you dfs share you can see something like this.

DFSShare.PNG

You can see here the file servers hosting the shares. Note that most of the times the file servers are not defined with fqdn but with server name only.

Go to your UAG endpoint and do a nslookup "filesserver" and an error is returned your search path is missing.

when you deploy the uag you need to enter the search domain. (a.corp in this example)

to test on your running UAG you can go to /etc/resolv.conf, Check the line search a.corp. most of the times it is missing.

pastedImage_3.png

Add the line and restart network services

After the restart do again NSlookup on the fileserver.

result should be the ip of the fileserver.

I should work now.

and check if the settings also exist after a server reboot. Some settings are overwritten by the vAPP options inside vCenter.

0 Kudos
jahuu
Contributor
Contributor

..thanks a lot rpleupen​ - that was the trick, enter the Servernames in hosts and add the search <domain> in resolv.conf - next time i will open a Support Call direct to you ;-).
Have a good day!
Best Regards
Olaf

0 Kudos