VMware Workspace ONE Community
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Console version 19.02 versus 19.03

Hi all,

Is anyone here running either console version 19.02 or 19.03 in the hosted/on-premises environment?

I know each version comes with a list of known issues and that list will never be empty, but I also know not all known issues apply to all customers. Thus, I think it's safe to jump from 9.4 to 19.03 unless there are issues that affect multiple users until they are resolved.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
35 Replies
ThomasConnolly
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Thomas,

We are running  19.02.0.7 (1902) in a On-Premises hosted environment and haven't experienced any issues.
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Thanks, Thomas.

How often do you upgrade and what was your previous version? Are you planning to upgrade to 19.03 anytime soon?
0 Kudos
ThomasConnolly
Contributor
Contributor

I try to keep our environment up-to-date as much as possible without falling to far behind. Usually I will update to the latest release once it comes out for On-Premise and if I run into any issues I will rollback my snapshot and database backup.
0 Kudos
cmveloso
Contributor
Contributor

We're on 18.10 and have several issues related to batching/queue logic. AW does indicate that 19.03 has those fixes along with some improvements to Android for Enterprise.

0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

I agree if you are on-premises customer. SaaS customer, on the other hand, has less than 24 hours to roll back after upgrading to the newest version.
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Thanks, Chad. We are going full throttle with AFE in Q3 and Q4 this year, so I suppose 19.03 makes more sense.
0 Kudos
ThomasConnolly
Contributor
Contributor

I guess I should mention as well, we are only using AirWatch to manage Apple devices (iPads and iPhones). No Android or Window devices in our environment.
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

That's totally fine Thomas. Have you considered other MDM solutions prior to AirWatch? My previous firm only manages iOS with AirWatch as well, and Blackberry UEM for Android devices out of security concern.
0 Kudos
ThomasConnolly
Contributor
Contributor

We used to use SOTI mobicontrol before AirWatch and I find that AirWatch is much better. AirWatch support has also been very helpful and their turn around time isn't to bad either. I foresee us using AirWatch for quite awhile.
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Awesome. I think Windows phones are pretty hard to find nowadays, but don't rule out Android just yet. The ability to support both and more platforms is the strength of AirWatch.
0 Kudos
RichB2u2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm still waiting for 1903 to be released for on-premise. In the meantime, this Friday, we will be upgrading from 9.7 to 1902 and then patching that to 19.02.0.15. If 1903 is released before then it will be installed instead.
0 Kudos
UiliamFoschiera
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi all...

as well as Rich, I'm planning to upgrade our environment from 9.7 to 1902, at next week. Due to problems in the past, as devices stop communicating with the server, I started to upgrade version by version, even though the instructions predict that it is possible to perform directly to the latest version (with the exception of the database).

And, for info purposes, our VMware Account manager says that ' VMware recommends to upgrade AirWatch at least 3 times in year' . Correct or no, we are trying to do this...

Regards
0 Kudos
RichB2u2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

A newer version of the ' 1902 Patch Installer'  got released (https://resources.workspaceone.com/view/ytld5ksr59xdt54ywv2q/en) so now I will be installing 19.02 and patching it to 19.02.0.18! This wasn't announced via a product update email so the only way to know there was an update was to search for it online as an on-premise customer. I see from the deployment instructions after unzipping that there are 49 URGENT issues addressed and in the previous patch installer there were only 44.
We are planning to go straight from 9.7 to 1902 without doing the intermediate updates (1810 or 1811).
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

I just got one of my shared SaaS upgraded from 9.4 to 19.03 which includes the latest patch. So far so good.

I hate to say this, but I appreciate having my environment hosted more than ever! Less management headache and still give me the control I need before it gets upgraded. Much faster when it comes to troubleshooting as well since VM tech has access to the server behind the scene.
0 Kudos
RichB2u2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

So we got our on-premise system up to 19.02.0.18 on Friday and then on Saturday they released 1903 for on-premise! We want the new smart group features so will be updating to 1903 soon...
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

Same here, 19.03 is needed for the smartgroup enhancements. Be upgrading very soon.
0 Kudos
antherITguy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What are the enhancements to Smartgroups in 1903?
0 Kudos
RichB2u2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workspace-ONE-UEM/1903/rn/VMware-Workspace-ONE-UEM-Release-Notes-1...

' Smart Group filter criteria is getting smarter.
You now have two new and useful categories available when you create a Smart Group: Management Type and Enrollment Category.
Management Type lets you target devices on a cross-platform basis that are managed by MDM or an application like Boxer or Content.
Enrollment Category lets you drill down further into only the Apple or Android device pool, isolating devices by their specific enrollment path. For example, you can target only Apple devices that were DEP enrolled or only Android Enterprise devices. See the full complement of Management Types and Enrollment Categories by navigating to Groups & Settings > Groups > Assignment Groups and select the Add Smart Group button.'
0 Kudos
UiliamFoschiera
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Saturday, new on-premise released... today, new patch released... not cool.... 😞
0 Kudos