VMware Workspace ONE Community
anonymousmigrat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Completely Forbid Device Resetting

Is it possible to completely block device resetting? I have enrolled the device (Nexus 6P with Android 8.1) as a corporate owned fully managed device (Android Enterprise). I have deployed device restriction profile with disabling ' reset device'  and it works like a charm; reset device blocked in Settings. But I am still able to enter the recovery mode (hardware button combination) and from there I can wipe cache and do a wipe device/system. Is it possible to block it? Either block entering recovery mode or block wiping device in recovery mode?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
gaston_arg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hey guys, 

Sorry to revive this old thread but it's exactly the same thing I was trying to find out.

Is the hard reset mechanism (by that I mean pressing volume and power keys and then getting to the Android Recovery Mode) also blocked by Workspace One in any way? And if it's not, is the user prompted back for WS1 enrolling the moment the devices reboots during the Android setup screen?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
MatthewSwenson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

On our rugged Android Honeywell devices, this feature is not blocked.  However, the device is then stuck in Factory Reset Protection, so while the device is no longer working for us, it no longer works for them either.

0 Kudos
gaston_arg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks Matthew for your reply. Yes, in case FRP is enabled, that would only cause one extra headache (though as administrator you can always use the Enterprise Factory Reset Protection as a workaround for that if I'm not mistaken).

But if FRP is not enabled, I don't know which would be the final scenario (that's if FRP can be disabled while enrolled to WS1).

0 Kudos
MatthewSwenson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We use the method you describe to rescue such devices.

I've never tried disabling FRP (is it possible?), but I'm pretty sure it would let the person go on their merry way with a reset in the scenario you describe.  If I recall correctly, there may have been some device which truly disabled factory resets through the device boot menu, but I don't believe that is the case for all vendors.

BrunoRodriguez
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys,

I'm trying to block factory reset in recovery mode of an Android 11 Full Work Enterprise device.

The profile blocks the reset in the settings, a popup appears that informs that it does not have permission to perform this action.

Has anyone managed to block factory reset in recovery mode?

Thanks for all.

0 Kudos