VMware Workspace ONE Community
srikrishnamk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Chrome Browser still shows up on Samsung device even though it is blacklisted

I have applied the Restrictions Policy for Android (Work Managed Device) as ' Allow Chrome Browser'  is not enabled (unchecked).

Even though it is disabled, it was appearing after some time on my both Pixel 2 XL & Samsung A8+ devices.

I fixed the issue on Pixel device by adding Chrome browser under Blacklist Apps but it still appears on Samsung A8+ device even though the App Identifier is same i.e. com.android.chrome.

Please let me know if anyone else facing/faced same issue?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mikemeiter
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

looks like the xml is stripped out.  Here is the URL.  https://support.workspaceone.com/articles/115011571407

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
srikrishnamk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Bipasha,

The device is running on OS 8.0. WIll try out use XML to restrict as an alternative.

0 Kudos
mikemeiter
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had this issue in May of 2018, it is applicable to all Android version 8.0 devices in workprofile / work managed mode.  It is resolved in Android 8.1 and later.  The support team only provides a workaround using a custom settings profile.  I have attached the XML to assist you.
From my support request:
' This is the known issue for only Android 8.0 devices from Google. We have enabled the Chrome App by default for Android 8.0 as Agent/WS1 app was crashing if any activity which uses Chrome/Webview was launched. This has been fixed with Android 8.1. Until that is released, you can push down the following custom XML to achieve your use-case.'

'
0 Kudos
srikrishnamk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Mike for the update.
0 Kudos
mikemeiter
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

looks like the xml is stripped out.  Here is the URL.  https://support.workspaceone.com/articles/115011571407
0 Kudos
srikrishnamk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Mike, thanks again for the URL. Able to use the xml and apply the changes.
0 Kudos
srikrishnamk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Mike,

I see that chrome browser appears on my Pixel 2 XL(OS 9.0) device after sometime(i saw it this morning). Device is running with OS 9.0.

Current policy setttings:

1. I have added Chrome app to the Blacklisted Apps and ' Application Control'  configuration is set accordingly.
2. ' Allow Chrome Browser'  option is unchecked under Restrictions policy
3. XML to Grey out Chrome app is applied under ' Custom Settings'

When above policy is applied on Pixel 2 XL(9.0) device ' Chrome'  app will not be displayed. On Samsung A8+(8.0), app will be Grey out. But on pixel 2 device it appears after sometime and again i need to publish the policy to make Chrome app disappear.

Could you please clarify me what could be the issue as the above solution says it has been fixed with OS 8.1 and later.
0 Kudos
mikemeiter
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

To confirm, the issue is on 8.0 only.  8.1 and later, including 9 do not exhibit the issue.  I am omitting device types simply because I am not in front of the console at this time, but I am confident that it is OS version and not device hardware.

This is what I have done in my environment, but first I am assuming you have set up correctly Android for work/enterprise on an OG, and that you are aware of the difference between Android legacy and Android profiles.

I created an Android profile that is a custom type with the xml.  This profile is called by a compliance policy.

Create a compliance policy for Android.  Use the the os version policy and if the os version equals 8.1 then call the policy you created above.  This will disable the chrome browser in 8.0.

If all these work managed devices enroll in the same OG then create a restrictions policy that meets the conditions you need including clearing the box for ‘allow chrome browser’. This profile is applied to all devices in the OG.  You also have the option to control via smart group, or whatever they call those groups.

In my setup I ensure only the 8.0 devices have the custom xml,  this was necessary last year when devices from Samsung and blackberry and others released 0s update from 7.0 to 8.0.  Not so much an issue.

Anyway, I hope this clarifies what I have done.  One final thought,  troubleshooting logs should capture when a profile is applied. If the browser is showing up after it is hidden via profile, I would think the profile was either removed or reapplies.  The logs should capture that.
0 Kudos