VMware Workspace ONE Community
davisjj
Contributor
Contributor

Change the User Registered to a Device

Is there any way to change the user that is associated with a device?  For example, I have a group of devices that were setup with the default staging user, but I now need to associate them with a different user.  There doesn't seem to be a way to do this, but I assume that I'm just missing something as it seems like a basic feature.  Registering these devices again is not going to work at this time.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
AbrahamSanchez
Contributor
Contributor

We are AD integrated so users so the device gets wiped and the new user enrolls. Provided it's a corporate owned phone and not shared.  Not sure if there is another way because the user has to enter their org credentials and password. 
0 Kudos
davisjj
Contributor
Contributor

Right, so are we.  These devices were enrolled as shared devices though, using the default staging account.  Perhaps if I download the agent and enroll again.  These were a bit unique though, because they were purchased and setup before we had DEP.  I configured them as supervised using Configurator to get them into AirWatch.
0 Kudos
AbrahamSanchez
Contributor
Contributor

Totally sucks. I had the same issues with devices purchased before DEP.  Lucky for me most were so old they needed to be replaced anyway.  We do have a few out there setup with Configurator, and they always need to come back to us to wipe on the Mac.  
0 Kudos
davisjj
Contributor
Contributor

Yep.  This is one of those situations where they pull the devices out once a year or so to conduct an employee survey.  It's been two years this time.  They don't have funding to replace right now.  Oh, and they need to ship them out next week.  🙂  My main issue is needing to get certs on them as we now have an internal network that is cert-auth based.  It pulls UPN from the registered user though.  I'm working around it by creating a copy of the cert request to just hard code the SANs to what I need them to be for these devices.
0 Kudos
SteveHeske
Contributor
Contributor

We have a similar use case. We'd like to avoid enrolling devices when the corresponding user is switched to another one. Is there any option that would allow me to switch the users in the background without having the need to re-enroll?
0 Kudos
ALEXGUSTAFSON
Contributor
Contributor

We also have this issue.  I am opening a support ticket to get an official answer on this.  Did anyone else figure anything out since last week?
0 Kudos
davisjj
Contributor
Contributor

No, I was not able to get an answer on this.  It seems that it may not be possible.  For our purposes, I had to create a new cert template request that hard-coded the service account.  That works for our purpose, because I've assigned to just the OG that needs it.  I still would like to have the ability to change the enrollment user without re-enrolling the device.  Hope you get a response.
0 Kudos
ALEXGUSTAFSON
Contributor
Contributor

Sounds like we are out of luck:

We unfortunately do not have a method to switch users at this time built out in the system and only have the options to change ownership type and organization.

As a separate recommendation you could implement shared devices which give a log in/out option. This would currently be the only effective way to switch user profiles that are tied to the hub.
0 Kudos