VMware Workspace ONE Community
syarbrou
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can I have the same app twice in the catalog?

I have what I think is a unique situation.  We have an app that will be used by most of our organization to connect to one place.  For those users we want to use the application configuration to set the information.  Once done, the app is locked to that location only.  We have a subset of users who want to use the app but also access other places.  For those we want to NOT set the application configuration.  All devices are in the same OG.  Is there any way to visualize in the app store two links to the same app based on two separate configurations of the app, each with one smartgroup tied to it, but in the same OG?

So smartgroup1 in OG would be tied to an assignment that has the application configuration set
smartgroup2 in the same OG would be tied to an assignment that has the application configuration UNset.

Would the app show twice in the store?  If so I know I'm going to have a problem with telling them apart but curious if anyone knows if this is even possible.

Thanks.

Steve
Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BethC
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You do not need to have 2 different instances of the application to make this work. Availability in the catalog is based upon assignment (smart group). Configuration can be different for each group, just won't have the same priority level for delivery but if it is going to be on-demand that should not matter. Create a new assignment for the same application, without the configuration. We use leverage AD groups a lot for this type of deployment.

Select the application > Select Assign > create a new assignment with or without the configuration - repeat as many times as needed

View solution in original post

8 Replies
MatthewSwenson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

It's been a while since I've messed with this sort of thing, but you can post apps at different OG levels.  The posting nearest to your intended users overrides the one in the parent group.  It would work, then for your special users' devices to be in a subgroup where the app was listed again with the appropriate settings or vice-versa.  There may still be a way to do this with tags or other Smart Group criteria, but I'm not sure.
0 Kudos
BethC
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You do not need to have 2 different instances of the application to make this work. Availability in the catalog is based upon assignment (smart group). Configuration can be different for each group, just won't have the same priority level for delivery but if it is going to be on-demand that should not matter. Create a new assignment for the same application, without the configuration. We use leverage AD groups a lot for this type of deployment.

Select the application > Select Assign > create a new assignment with or without the configuration - repeat as many times as needed

syarbrou
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Elizabeth.

So right now I have a BYOD OG and a bunch of ' company'  apps that are ON DEMAND downloadable. Everyone gets access to them from the catalog.

Let's take the app in question. it's called Epic Haiku.

Are you suggesting that I have two smartgroups that are user based. Say Haiku-with-config and Haiku-without-config as an example

Then assign the one with config to the Haiku app and set it to use the application configuration settings.

After that set the second one ' Haiku-without-config'  to a separate assignment without the application config set

Then someone, say the help desk, will need to assign the AD account to one or the other smartgroup based on their need?

Thanks.

Steve

0 Kudos
BethC
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Correct. That's how I do it. They can only see in the catalog which instance (config or not) that is assigned to them and remove the other assignments once you have it setup. Easy peasy!
0 Kudos
syarbrou
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Elizabeth. Was hoping I could have both in the catalog and thru some naming:

Haiku - NorthShore Access Only
Haiku - Access multiple HealthSystems

which I'm feeling I can't do, have them pick. This way we don't have to create a whole help desk process which is outside of my teams control and have to pull in other teams to support.

Thanks.

Steve

0 Kudos
BethC
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You're welcome. Good luck!
0 Kudos
syarbrou
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well I tried linking two smartgroups both with Haiku in them just configured with different assignment groups to the OG.  Just one copy of Haiku shows up in the store.  Which one, is beyond me until the install finishes but guess it doesn't matter.

Thanks.

Steve
0 Kudos
BethC
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Are you in both AD groups for testing? I wouldn't include yourself in that respect. I would create a new smartgroup for just me and assign it to 1 assignment type at a time to test it. If that's what you are trying to do.
0 Kudos