VMware Workspace ONE Community
dhelfrich
Contributor
Contributor

Can I change the name of an active Assignment Group (Smart Group)?

I've got a client with an existing Workspace ONE UEM setup (2105).  They have an assignment group of type smart group to which MS office applications are assigned.  

I'm trying to add users to this group but the group name has an & in it, so when I try to add users it won't let me save it unless I remove the & from the group name.  If I rename the group, what happens to the 40 or so users already in this group?  Will anything happen on their devices to interrupt their use of these Office apps (especially Outlook)?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MatthewSwenson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm kind of surprised it is complaining about the '&'...

Changing the name does just that - it changes the name.  The assignments are not tied to the name of the Smart Group but rather the database ID of the Smart Group.  You can change the name up and down - all that does is change display text.

dhelfrich
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you!  I was pretty sure that was the case, but I've used AirWatch about twice and this was my first time logging into any of these since it became Workspace ONE so I really wanted some corroboration before making a change.  I was surprised, too, especially since the name already existed.  My only guess was that at some point after the group was created an update made the use of & illegal?  cannot contain the following characters.png

I was able to change the name, add my users, and nothing seems to have broken, so, thank you!

0 Kudos