VMware Workspace ONE Community
tsmithcoc
Contributor
Contributor

Boxer vs Outlook

Any of you using either in your environment over the native clients on iOS & Android?

Pros/Cons to both? I've been testing Boxer for a month or, and enjoying it thus far.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
20 Replies
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

Running outlook has been much easier IMO. Decisions will be based on your security needs, licensing etc in the end. I like Outlook myself, i'm partial to the Focused inbox. But otherwise Boxer is nice as well. Boxer has more security options IMO as well, easier to implement restrictions.
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

I have not tested Boxer since 02/18, but I do know lots of improvements have been made since then. I look forward to testing it again in 2020 (already have my plate full for 2019).
0 Kudos
tsmithcoc
Contributor
Contributor

Luke,

Do you allow your users to create other 'personal' email accounts within the Outlook app or are we able to block that?

Thanks,
0 Kudos
antherITguy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We've had one issue after another with Boxer.  It's a mess.
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Derek, are you referring to the latest version of Boxer?
0 Kudos
antherITguy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

All versions.
0 Kudos
RohitBorekar
Contributor
Contributor

If you have a security requirement boxer is the way to go. We have both working fine no issues.
0 Kudos
antherITguy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Rohlt, are you able to sync Boxer contacts to the local iOS Contacts app with iOS devices running 11.3+?
0 Kudos
tsmithcoc
Contributor
Contributor

Does Outlook not adhere to your security requirements?

Thanks,
0 Kudos
RohitBorekar
Contributor
Contributor

Derek not sure why you want to do that? The whole idea behind Boxer app is to you can have your protected emails secured and only access via boxer with only contacts available from your local protected exchange  and its contacts. We don't allow ios contacts to syn within Boxer only the contacts which are available on that protected exchange.

Travis - short answer is no. Outlook can't be restricted as boxer. Boxer has more granular security control /restrictions compare to outlook.
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

I came across similar request before with Blackberry Work (competitor of VMware Boxer) when user wants to see the caller's name from his/her device. We made a rare exception for an executive to sync only one way from Exchange to Blackberry Work but not the other way around.
0 Kudos
antherITguy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Right Thomas.  We sync the Boxer contacts locally so that caller ID works.  Except VMware can't figure out how to do this on iOS device running iOS 11.3 or later.

Some other issues we've experienced:
We lost audible new email alerts for over 2 months after upgrading to Workspace One 1810.
All day reoccurring appointments would displayed the following day.
Could bypass the Boxer password by tapping on a new email message banner.
Certain messages would not synchronize to device due to their formatting.
Boxer certificate renewal requires a re-enrollment for the end-user.
ENSv2 does not support KCD where ENSv1 does.
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Thanks, Derek. I didn't know there's still that many issues with VMware Boxer. Are you working actively with support on these issues?
0 Kudos
avishaig
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Derek
ENS v2 do support kcd. It is working for us. You have to configure Seg v2 for EWS.
https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workspace-ONE-UEM/9.6/vmware-airwatch-guides-96/GUID-AW96-SEGv2_EN...
0 Kudos
antherITguy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, it's reliant on SEGv2.

0 Kudos
StanislavV
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, colleagues.
Could you please give me an advice: is it possible to use Outlook for iOS with SEG v2-proxy?

Thank you in advance.
Cheers,
Stanislav
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Stanlslav, I'm curious about that as well. We are working with Microsoft on getting Outlook implemented through AirWatch while using Intune to manage app policies. Anyone else has done this before?
0 Kudos
Boe_K
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have been running Boxer for the last two years and while I truly hated it at first its come a long ways. For management here it came down to the fact that if and when we find an issue with Boxer we can reach out and work with the dev's to get it fixed. When it comes to Outlook Mobile we can report the issue to MS but are not as confident it will get fixed in a timely manner. I think both have their pro's and cons but I personally prefer Boxer over Outlook Mobile as I think Outlook Mobile is to basic and doesn't allow enough control/customization from an end user perspective.
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

I totally agree with Boe on getting support from VMware quicker than from Microsoft. On a different post, Microsoft refused to fix an issue that potentially affects millions of Android users.

I don't even know why we would consider Outlook over Boxer in the first place. Granted, it has its flaw at the beginning, but I would think it's pretty mature by now to stay competitive in the market. 

0 Kudos