VMware Workspace ONE Community
Pro2type
Contributor
Contributor

Boxer not syncing mail after upgrade from Android 12 to 13

Hi, we seems to have issues with devices upgrading from Android 12 to 13. All devices have to re-enroll their devices to UEM to be able to sync their mail in Boxer app. Is there some new config or any issues with Boxer and Android 13?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
Pro2type
Contributor
Contributor

Added screenshot from Boxer.

0 Kudos
Freekb83
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

We have the exact same issue after upgrading from A12 to A13. When re-installing Boxer it syncs one time and then stops.

After re-enrollment it works, but with one user it still doesn't work.

We updates 5 Samsung A33 devices to Android13 and 4 worked, 1 started working after re-enrollment.

1 Samsung device worked after the update but stopped working after 1 week.

We logged the following ticket: 22379653411 After update to Android 13 Boxer stops syncing emails

Vmware support told us it's a known issue and they're investigating if the issue is on the Vmware of google side.

0 Kudos
Pro2type
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot for the update. Vmware is not updating with anything regarding issues it seems. Support is also very very bad, not even answering for many days. 

Will follow release notes for patches coming. 

0 Kudos
GeraldHubbard
Contributor
Contributor

We are seeing the exact same issue with our Samsung phones after updating to Android 13.  Either Boxer stops syncing new email or works for about a week and stops.  I've also opened SR22381150211 for help and am still gathering the requested log files.  I'm afraid this will start snowballing since AT&T and T-Mobile just announced they will begin updating Samsung S20 and S21 to Android 13.

0 Kudos
bdude00
Contributor
Contributor

We are seeing the same issue now too.  It is not happening to all of our Android 13 users, but we are at over 10% of the users having issues now and are without email on their phones.  This is very bad.

0 Kudos
SirtimidK
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

We have exact the same issue. After upgrading devices to Android 13,many users complained about Sync issues. Remove boxer and install it again didin't help. Authentication passed, but no email sync. Even if we cleaned up cache,Purge messages and reset folder hierarchy. 

Only after unenroll and enroll again it worked. Still some users are facing the same issue after re enrolling. And not all users are affected too. Some are  working normally. 

Opened a ticket and apart of logs and logs, the statement was that there are some issues, without providing details. Still waiting for a reply from Vmware side.

If someone has a reply,let us know

0 Kudos
SirtimidK
Contributor
Contributor

Finally there is a progress. Not a solution, but the acceptance of the problem

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/90201

0 Kudos
Freekb83
Contributor
Contributor

We also experience issues with Face Unlock after upgrading to Android 13.

Face unlock works in the Work Profile, but not in the Personal profile.

Are there more people that experience this issue?

0 Kudos
SirtimidK
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, we are facing the same. I also checked this with MS Endpoint(Intune) enrolled device and the same behavior there. Any BYOD enrolled device has the option Face Unlock as greyd out.

0 Kudos
AlexanderMuc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I also opened a ticket (22381046911) on 16.11 and on 17.11 I provided logs and bug reports that Google could do something with.
We also noticed that VMware is very secretive about bugs. And unfortunately that doesn't help at all when problem cases accumulate and you have no clue what the actual trigger is.

The best workaround for us is to switch the work profile off and on twice.
Nevertheless, the support would like us to test the workaround with the ContentResolver facade, although this does not help for delegated accounts according to the KB article. Seems to me like support is trying to play for time.

0 Kudos
GeorgiosParaske
Contributor
Contributor

Another issue which we are facing with some not all Android 13 deives is that users cannot enroll their device. An error appears "Cannot Set Up work Profile -  Please contact IT Admin".

When we tried to reproduce the Enterprise enrollment with Test DPC app, user received the same. 

0 Kudos
Pro2type
Contributor
Contributor

I have one user now with the same issue. Tried to factory reset the phone, no solution. Tried with a different Android 13 phone, and that phone has no problem enrolling.. Very unstable to be a Android 13 user on Workspace One now..!!!

0 Kudos
Boe_K
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can fix that issue by doing the following:

0 Kudos
WenwenC
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone already tested boxer v23.01?

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/90201

0 Kudos
AlexanderMuc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I saw yesterday that there is a new beta for Boxer. However, the developers didn't mention there that there is a change for ContentResolver Facade. Although I subscribed to the KB article, no mail came for the change, so thanks for the reference.

I installed beta 23.01.0.6 and can confirm that delegated mailboxes now work when the ContentResolver Facade feature is enabled. This is a good news.

Compared to other MDM vendors, VMware's KB article on the cause of the error is unfortunately not very informative.
Ivanti: https://forums.ivanti.com/s/article/Email-and-gmail-randomly-fail-to-sync-on-Android-OS-13-devices?l...

The topic is the same cause of error: SyncManager: "SYNC_OP_STATE_INVALID: account doesn't exist."
In addition, Ivanti has linked to a KB article from Samsung: https://docs.samsungknox.com/admin/knox-platform-for-enterprise/kbas/kba-816-emails-unable-to-sync-f...
Cause: "Google has identified and is resolving an issue within SyncManager where some apps attempt to access accounts that have been configured on the device."
Resolution: "Samsung is currently verifying the resolution, and will be implementing a fix in a future software update for devices with Android 13. Currently, there is not a fixed release timeline."

The actual problem is therefore not solved via Boxer update, but via OTA update. ContentResolverFacade is a good workaround with 23.01. If the feature is not enabled by default with the productive version of 23.01 and you could not change the setting via AppConfig, that would be quite inconvenient for users.

Let's see how VMware acts and wants to inform further about the topic.

rtyler9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can I infer from your message that you've found a way to deploy this setting using App Config? If so, is there any chance you could post your setting here?

Thank you!

Randy

0 Kudos