VMware Workspace ONE Community
rsaulitis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Boxer email app configartion

Hi All,

Is there some way to configure Boxer app to use VPN (VMwareTunnel) and connect to email server directly via VPN not using EAS. When I try to assign Boxer app to some devices it's asking to configure email settings and there is a field which asks for EAS server and it's must have field. So that mean Boxer can only be use via EAS server?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AVIVEKA
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

If your mail server is not directly accesible, you have ton install and configure the "Secure Email Gateway".

Regards,

0 Kudos
rsaulitis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

But there is no way to configure boxer to use vpn and connect via it to mailserver ? I can configure any other email client app like k-9, spark email to use vmware tunnel and allow access via it to mailserver, but I would like to do same with boxer, but boxer is asking for EAS server when trying to assign app to devices...

0 Kudos
AlexanderMuc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

EAS (Exchange ActiveSync) is a protocol for e-mail Sync. Alternatives would be IMAP and POP3.

With a VPN, a connection to mail servers can of course be established if the EAS sync between mail server and Internet is blocked. But the VPN connection has nothing to do with the protocols for e-mail sync.

"Exchange ActiveSync Host" is the hostname of your mail server. For example "mail.company.com".

You should use the online help for the configuration: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workspace-ONE-UEM/services/Boxer_Admin_Guide/GUID-AWT-APPCONFIGSBO...

If IMAP or POP3 is supported in AppConfig for Boxer, you have to check in the documentation or ask VMware directly.

If you do not want to use the SEG and already have a UAG for VPN in service, you only need to select your VPN profile in the AppConfig for Boxer. (Like any other app that needs to be tunneled Smiley Wink )

0 Kudos
rsaulitis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ask vmware directly... I'm writing here to ask community.. Anyone some experience with my question?

0 Kudos
AlexanderMuc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So what is your actual question?

"Does Boxer only support EAS?"

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workspace-ONE-UEM/services/Boxer_Admin_Guide/GUID-AWT-BOXERCOMPARI...

(Look at the lower sections of the table)

rsaulitis, you should not only ask questions in the community forum, but also read the documentation of the products you want to use!

0 Kudos
rsaulitis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The problem is when assigning app to devices it's mandatory to configure app with EAS configuration. There is no more option to just assign Boxer app to devices without e-mail config. We have several e-mail servers, some of them supports EAS some of them not. So users who are on server which doesn't support EAS we would like to configure to use imap on Boxer via Tunnel. But as I said when assigning app we must configure EAS account. Maybe I have missing something somewhere somehow how to do that!

0 Kudos
AlexanderMuc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Okay, now I understand your problem.

The assignment of Boxer is different from all other apps in general since the email configuration (independent from the OS specific possibilities) is anchored in the assignment. VMware does not intend that Boxer can be assigned without Email Config.

VMware only supports the Exchange Active Sync protocol for managed accounts. IMAP is only supported for unmanaged private accounts. To my knowledge, you also cannot connect IMAP servers via the SEG.

On Android (I would strongly advise AGAINST it for COPE-Enrollments) you can only try to upload the app as an internal app and assign it to the devices.

For IMAP servers you should rather use another email app.

0 Kudos