VMware Workspace ONE Community
jon_ng
Contributor
Contributor

Boxer ' Export contacts' creates many duplicates

My organisation recently introduced Workspace One for BYOD devices. I installed Boxer on my personal iPhone device, and chose to ' Export contacts'  to my device. However, this created 20+ duplicates for every contact I had. I tried ' Resync Contact Export Data' , but it didn't help. Please advise what I should do. Thanks.
Labels (1)
25 Replies
DanielHarris
Contributor
Contributor

We have the same issue appearing on all personally owned devices. We are only seeing this on devices that have updated to iOS 13. We have an open ticket with VMWare and so far no resolution or awareness of the problem. I'm glad to see others experiencing the same thing. 
0 Kudos
jon_ng
Contributor
Contributor

So glad to know I'm not the only one with this issue. The exporting seems to go on and go. I left my phone for a while, and when I came back, I found I had 23000+ contacts in my iPhone address book. I had to disable exporting of contacts and spent an hour deleting all the contacts from my phone.
0 Kudos
ArunasStankevic
Contributor
Contributor

Our Customer faced the same issue. From short investigation it looks like there is some loop in Contacts sync. It goes like Outlook->BoxerIphone Native-iCloud.

1. As workarroud we disabled iCloud contacts sync
2. Recently released IOS 13.1. We will try to update and see what will happend.

Arunas
0 Kudos
snochico1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We are experiencing the same experience with multiple contacts.  If you use the ' Resync Contact Export Data'   more duplicates are added.  Workspace One really needs to get their game together. Silly things like this that pop up with every version of their Boxer app stops the adoption because they break something that works when they fix something else.
0 Kudos
ArunasStankevic
Contributor
Contributor

IOS 13.1 didn't help.

After we compared logs from two different devices (on one of them it works on other doesn't) we noticed that on bad one is an error with Call kit and Boxer every few minutes syncs contacts again and again (as it is unable to open and compare local iphone contacts). Tommorow we will open support case.

More details (if somebody from VMware is reading it)

2019-09-25T13:25:09Z I [20407] [Contacts Export] Syncing Boxer contacts to device contacts
2019-09-25T13:25:09Z I [4666] - Application did become active
2019-09-25T13:25:09Z I [22158] [CallKit Identification] Set CallKit identification enabled to [YES]

2019-09-25T13:25:09Z E [22155] - Error reloading CallKit Extension for Caller ID; Error code: 7
2019-09-25T13:25:09Z I [21994] [Contacts Export] Best source for Boxer contacts group: [Local], Container name: [(null)], identifier []
2019-09-25T13:25:09Z I [22153] - Before hitting status endpoint Device Services URL = https://.awmdm.com
2019-09-25T13:25:09Z I [21994] [Contacts Export] Best source for Boxer contacts group: [Local], Container name: [(null)], identifier []
2019-09-25T13:25:09Z E [21994] [Contacts Export] Error fetching device contacts [The operation couldn’t be completed. (CNErrorDomain error 102.)]
2019-09-25T13:25:09Z E [21994] [Contacts Export] Error fetching device contacts [The operation couldn’t be completed. (CNErrorDomain error 102.)]
2019-09-25T13:25:09Z I [22155] - Attempting to clear invalid state for CallKit Extension after indeterminate error
2019-09-25T13:25:09Z I [21994] [Contacts Export] Preparing to sync Boxer Contacts: Total [169], Exportable [166]
2019-09-25T13:25:09Z I [21994] [Contacts Export] Boxer contacts to add to the device contacts store [166]

2019-09-25T13:25:12Z I [21994] [Contacts Export] 166 Boxer contacts successfully saved to device contacts store
2019-09-25T13:25:12Z I [4666] [Contacts Export] Syncing Boxer contacts to device contacts completed
2019-09-25T13:25:12Z I [21994] [Contacts Export] Best source for Boxer contacts group: [Local], Container name: [(null)], identifier []
2019-09-25T13:25:12Z E [4666] [Contacts Export] Error: The operation couldn’t be completed. (CNErrorDomain error 102.)
2019-09-25T13:25:14Z I [4666] - Application will enter resign active

2019-09-25T13:25:14Z I [4666] - Application did enter background

0 Kudos
BigJoeMan
Contributor
Contributor

We are seeing the same issue, BYOD or Corporate enrolled. Has anyone seen an official response from Airwatch?
0 Kudos
ArianZuta
Contributor
Contributor

The same issue over here. However it is not only iCloud related.
We do not have any contacts synced to iCloud or any other Exchange. Only Boxer is running and export contacts option is enabled.
In iOS you will have a group called VMware Boxer [any ID] and it creates duplicates into this group.

Anyone have any news regarding this issue?
0 Kudos
jpjp1
Contributor
Contributor

did @Arunas S. open a support case, we are seeing this somewhat related occur with CallerID generating hundreds of extra contacts. Dont want to really open another case if its already being worked on, but might have to if nothing by tomorrow.
0 Kudos
ArunasStankevic
Contributor
Contributor

We did. But as we are partners, VM require Customer to open SR... and it takes time. Already 10 hours past after we made SR. No news. Will update after 12 hours
0 Kudos
ArianZuta
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all
I opened a ticket and got the following answer:

I would like to inform you that we are already aware of this issue and it has been identified as a bug in our product. The affected Boxer application versions are 5.9 and 5.10. Our product team is already working on it and it will be resolved in the next update of the application which is 5.11.

However, there is no ETA about when will the next version of Boxer be released but the product team has already released the beta version of 5.11 and they are testing on it. Hence, we can expect it to be out in the app store very soon.

Best Arian
0 Kudos
jpjp1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks @Arian Z. , I will let our support team know this. This is good news for a really annoying issue.
0 Kudos
syarbrou
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So I just noticed this thread which was ?good? that others have seen this. That said opened a ticket before and have two devices with this issue so far. Which is really bad as we are doing a BYOD pilot and have 23 users participating right now. Having this happen is going to kill adoption. That said, from what I read above should I assume that the user is going to have to delete their thousands of contacts that have this entry in them? And have to click into each one of them to see which one has that This contact was created to enable caller ID for VMware Boxer contacts... note in it so they know which is the real one and which is the duplicate? My AVP has this and this isn't going to be good. Oddly my phone is updated but doesn't have this problem, though I can't even get WS1 to install apps on my device from the catalog and have to download them manually from the Apple store but that's another issue.

EDIT:  By the way, is there a way to stop this from happening?  Is this caller id stuff something we want happening?  Not even sure I get what it's doing.

Thanks.

Steve

0 Kudos
jpjp1
Contributor
Contributor

Hopefully the update is released soon, the only workaround we have found is turning off contacts sync in the settings. This will remove the entire device and force a resync of the enterprise contacts down.
0 Kudos
ArianZuta
Contributor
Contributor

The update is released. however one customer experiences still the same issues.
How does it look over here?
0 Kudos
presbell
Contributor
Contributor

Cleaned up some of my contacts but not all.  Get error ' The Operation Could Not be Completed'  (CNErrorDomain error 102.)  when trying to toggle Export contacts off and on. 
0 Kudos
ArianZuta
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Preston B.
CNErrorDomain error 102 on our side too. I already updated ticket but haven't heard anything yet.
Best
0 Kudos
TorbenVolkmann
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everybody,
I ran in the same problems. This is the answer from support today:

I'd like to inform you that we recently got to know that this issue is identified as a bug in 5.11 version of Boxer. It might be related to the recent changes in iOS 13 permissions to access contacts' descriptions.

The product team is actively working on releasing the fixed version of Boxer i.e. 5.12.

Thank you so much for attaching the screenshot of the issue. I'd request you to send us the Boxer logs as well.

You can always reach out to us and get to know the status of this bug by providing the reference number i.e. BINXI-12295.
0 Kudos
robloglisci11
Contributor
Contributor

Exact response from support today at 3:00.  Same error - CNErrorDomain error 102.  I reported it Friday AM, right after 5.11 was released.  Have delayed iOS 13 via Workspace One Console.
Right now our choices are:
200k plus contacts.
No contact sync with Exchange.

Not a great position to be in - hopefully 5.12 will repair this.
0 Kudos
JordonC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We finally started getting users calling in on this issue.  So far 2 main issues.  First is the phone locking up when trying to open contacts.  The other I was surprised to hear.  Several users vehicles infotainment systems/Car Stereos are also locking up or freaking out trying to sync all the contacts. 
0 Kudos