VMware Workspace ONE Community
JohnFarese
Contributor
Contributor

Assign Device to New User

In using past MDM platforms, we have always had the ability to assign a device to a new user. When we moved over to WS1, we were disappointed to see that this feature is not available through the console. Recently, in reading through the API guide, we realized that this action is in fact possible through the following PATCH command:

https://awconsole.estee.com/API/mdm/devices/{DeviceID}/enrollmentuser/{EnrollmentUserID}

Even after successfully running this command, it is necessary to manually change the device's organization group (using the console) in order for the device's Smart Groups to be updated. Given that this action is already available using the API, we would love for this feature to be added to the device actions dropdown.

Labels (1)
13 Replies
MatthewSwenson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Wow... As a community, pretty much everyone has been asking for this for years.  Interesting with the REST API command.  It seems to me you could perform the API command and also do the change OG via API immediately after.  Have you tried that?
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

What is really needed is a Stored Proc to do the entire job for you. Also recommend this be done as a feature request, otherwise it's just another forum topic 😉
0 Kudos
JohnFarese
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I'm definitely planning on creating a procedure to perform both steps for me, but it seems like this entire action should be available through the console if the API commands already exist.

Oops, must have misclicked! Thanks for pointing that out.
0 Kudos
mturcot
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a way to achieve this with a windows 10 device?  Api gives me error Device xxxxxx cannot be checked out. Device is not enrolled to a multi-staging user.  Api says checkout is reserves for MacOS and iOS

0 Kudos
AaronWhittaker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We use something very similar to this, we have a script on every device that runs at logon that assigns the device to the logged on user. I will clean up the code a little (removing usernames and passwords and writing instructions on how to set it up) and post it here, might be useful for someone.

0 Kudos
higherdecibel
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Aaron... any luck on the script you mentioned?  Looking for something with similar functionality!  Thanks!

0 Kudos
AaronWhittaker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We recently did an upgrade to UEM from 1903 to 2102 which broke the script so im having to rework it. I will post it to GitHub when im done and post the link here.

From what I am hearing from VMWare, they are beta testing in built user switching so eventually you wont need it... hopefully....

joshweiss
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Aaron,

Very curious if you have this working? We are currently migrating to the platform and are running into issues when reconfiguring machines.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
AaronWhittaker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I haven't been able to get the time to complete my version, but there is a very good version that will do it manually here

https://mobile-jon.com/2022/10/11/mobile-jon-field-medic-using-the-workspace-one-api-to-fix-real-wor...

PerPilot
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever find an answer to getting it to work on Windows machines? I am in the same situation, and all references I can find are with regards to IOS devices.

Regards,

Per

0 Kudos
A-WS1-Admin
Contributor
Contributor

Good evening Aaron,

Have you been able to rework your script? We are in need of something like this after I inadvertly enrolled about 200 devices to the wrong user.

Thanks,

A WS1 Admin

MikaylaRichard
Contributor
Contributor

I am receiving a 409 error code when following the link. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to re-assign the user without wiping the device or unenrolling it?

0 Kudos
MikeAcevedo
Contributor
Contributor

No luck after contacting WS1. We had to re-enroll all devices with new users. 

We ended up using an automator to automate a portion of it. 

0 Kudos