VMware Workspace ONE Community
whitneyj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Application Configurations not pushed for internal hosted app to Work Managed Device

Hello, we have an important client running into an issue where the application configurations are not getting pushed to the internally hosted application that we provided them. We are still trying to gather the information from their end but here is what I could gather in my own testing.

I deployed an internal app to Android using both methods described here

• Google Play private app added and deployed as a public app to a Work Profile device. In this case the Application Configurations were pushed successfully
  • Hosted the application .apk as a local file and deployed as an internal app to a Work Managed Device (enrolled using Android Legacy). In this case the Application Configurations were NOT pushed successfully

Does pushing Application Configurations require the device to be enrolled using a Work Profile? Looking at the AppConfig doc it does not say this is a requirement whereas the Android Enterprise doc does call out work profile as they describe pushing restrictions. So it seems like either Android requires the device to be enrolled with Work Profile to push restrictions or that this is a limitation of Workspace ONE UEM.

Thanks,

Joel

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

From my past experience, any app for Android Enterprise enrolled devices (Work Profile or Work Managed) must be uploaded to the managed Google Play Store first before app config values will get pushed to the devices.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

From my past experience, any app for Android Enterprise enrolled devices (Work Profile or Work Managed) must be uploaded to the managed Google Play Store first before app config values will get pushed to the devices.

0 Kudos
whitneyj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick response chengtmskcc

I'll mark this as the correct answer in case anyone else stumbles on this same question. This was my assumption based on what I saw in testing

0 Kudos
whitneyj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

FYI I was able to get configurations pushed to an internal app on a Work Profile device

- Install .apk from hosted location via Google Chrome into Work Profile (could not get uploaded .apk to AirWatch deployed on Work Profile device)

- Create profile with Custom Settings profile

```

<characteristic type="com.airwatch.android.androidwork.app:com.package.id" uuid="38ce1389-0a93-4323-a5aa-4c99b9ef627a">

<parm name="param" value="value1" type="string" />

</characteristic>

```

0 Kudos