VMware Workspace ONE Community
MichaelRC
Contributor
Contributor

Apple IDs not working on iPads enrolled to WS1

Hello all,
I work in a district that uses Chromebooks for its 1:1 student device, but at my site (which is small and used as a testing ground) we decided this year to roll out iPads instead of Chromebooks for our student's 1:1 device. 

All of our staff already have iPads, configured in WS1, and work perfectly fine. They can log in with their Apple IDs to access Apple native apps and download others we do not upkeep on our own "approved" app store. 

When making the DEP and Profiles for the student iPads, we duplicated the staff iPads DEP and Profiles, only adjusting a few restrictions in the Profile to get them to follow our Zero-Tolerance policy (such as no airplay, hiding the app store, etc). 

As stated above, the staff can log in to their own iPads with their Apple IDs with no problem. However, on student iPads, right after login, the Apple ID is automatically logged out. 

I have a ticket in for this issue but figured I should ask and see if anyone else has had/has this issue.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

UPDATE: In working with Apple, we figured out how to manage individual apps through WS1 which allows native apps to be used without login. While this solves the initial issue of students not being able to use those apps, they are still having issues where they cannot properly sign in to the device with their Apple ID.  

0 Kudos
2 Replies
psiwi1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any reason why you are not using Apple School Manager or Business Manager in this instance?

0 Kudos
MichaelRC
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, 
To be honest I'm not sure. That is a little above my pay grade. We use ASM to federate Apple IDs through Azure for staff, but not for students.

That being said, our federated accounts cannot install apps from the app store, for our staff use their personal Apple IDs to bypass this to find apps that they either paid for or liked to use instead of the district "Approved Apps." 

Staff have no issue with their personal Apple IDs on their own iPads, but when it comes to student iPads, they won't stay logged in. 

0 Kudos