VMware Workspace ONE Community
ToyahTyler
Contributor
Contributor

Apple Business Manager

Hi All,

Has anyone used Apple Business Manager? Are there cost associated? is it free? what does it do that AirWatch/Casper doesn't do? If anyone have access and have used it; let hear their views and experience with Apple's foray into Device Managment....its been long time coming.
Labels (1)
42 Replies
msweisberg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ABM just started beta with 11.3 and 10.3.4.  It won't actually be coming out for a while.  I just got the appleseed invite for it yesterday.
0 Kudos
BDBos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Where can i find more information about ABM? What are the expected possibilities?
0 Kudos
ToyahTyler
Contributor
Contributor

Apparently its just a tool to manage all the admin of VPP/DEP...not what we taught it was.
0 Kudos
msweisberg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You should take a look at the thread on it in the macsysadmin subreddit.  People are both drooling and having a heart attack over it as they think it is a direct attack to JAMF.  Quite funny.
0 Kudos
TRAVISSMITHTRAV
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
BrandonOKC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Apple officially released Business Manager for Admins to convert their DEP to new ABM. Any admins out there care to share their experience after making the conversion. Did you run into any snags or issue after conversion.
Release announcement article: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208817
KB Support document: https://help.apple.com/businessmanager/
0 Kudos
RobertDowson
Contributor
Contributor

I can't migrate to it yet as it doesn't launch in the UK until next week. I assume it just combines DEP and VPP into one portal and offers a macOS app?
0 Kudos
msweisberg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just finished the migration this morning.  Quite painless actually.
0 Kudos
BDBos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Where did you start the migration? In the old console?
0 Kudos
msweisberg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You log into the apple deployment console (deploy.apple.com) and it asks you if you want to upgrade to the new business manager.  Just follow the prompts that walk you through doing the upgrade.  It's pretty easy.
0 Kudos
RichB2u2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We have already converted our DEP accounts to Apple School Manager so when logging into deploy.apple.com it redirects me to school.apple.com which looks very similar to this new site for businesses:  business.apple.com.
0 Kudos
drew_miller
Contributor
Contributor

We are wanting to do this soon-ish. For those that have upgraded to ABM, did you experience any issues with existing VPP licenses being seen in the AirWatch Console, or with DEP devices being seen? How many VPP accounts do you have, and how many ' locations'  are you using in ABM now?
0 Kudos
RichB2u2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Assuming the conversion to Apple School Manager (ASM) is similar to ABM, I can answer your questions for what happened in our environment. ASM was available to education first so there are more of us already using ASM.
1. Existing VPP licenses will be in the console when we used the older VPP sToken from the VPP site imported into AirWatch OG's (I'm not going to be calling ' AirWatch'  by that really long name ' ...UEM'  anytime soon!). We started AirWatch before ASM was possible so all our licenses were already there.
2. DEP devices were immediately available in ASM and no longer able to log into deploy.apple.com (redirected to ASM). The same functionality exists in ASM for managing devices like DEP so there is no real impact to DEP other than a different web site to log into with the sub-heading ' Device Assignments'  equivalent to the DEP interface.
3. We had 48 VPP accounts previously. All were migrated at once to ASM as ' Content Managers'  and were then assigned to one of our 42 ' Locations.'  Nothing changed for their process - they could still buy apps at the VPP store and they sync to the sToken and show up in AirWatch. The VPP store doesn't require two-factor authentication yet either so is easier.
4. ASM requires two-factor authentication on all of the Apple IDs so we had to go through that process of connecting known phone numbers to those accounts.
5. Once the VPP Apple ID logs into ASM they see what they have at their location as Content Managers. There is a section called ' Apps & Books'  that when selected will have a big ' Get Started'  button along with a little text. If you click this button the process of converting from VPP to Location based sToken happens. All of the apps previously purchased as Managed Apps (Available Redeemable Codes need to be converted to Managed Apps first) will be listed there as well as how many copies are used and available. Then the new Location based sToken needs to be downloaded and imported into the console. Then you can still buy apps at the VPP store or the new way in ASM and they will both sync. This is normally a smooth process but for one of our locations the console complained the new token was not an update to the old token. In that case it was a real pain because although we could create a new OG as a child of the old one to import the new token and start over, we wanted to maintain all of the groups and profiles already configured. This required replacing the old token with the new one which removed and replaced all of the apps. This will delete all data stored in the app.
The main reason to do this app token conversion from VPP to ASM Location, as I understand, is to be able to transfer licenses between locations. We had one use for this with an app purchased by the SPED department having to be installed on a school iPad but otherwise I see no reason to make that app conversion unless you are prepared for the possible consequences so we have stopped converting them to ASM until doing a whole school's summer refresh on all devices.
0 Kudos
COStech
Contributor
Contributor

We are using Airwatch on-premise, version 9.2.3.10. Is upgrading to Apple Business Manager compatible? Does everything still import properly? We also have some devices in DEP that haven't been imported to Airwatch yet; what will happen to those devices?
0 Kudos
kelvinmahli
Contributor
Contributor

After upgrading to ABM, the purchasing account migrated in ABM shows all the previous VPP purchases but sync is broken in MDM. Assuming this will be fixed after uploading the ' new'  token, will existing VPP apps installed on devices be deleted or will the new token recognize the legacy installation and absorb the existing app count?
0 Kudos
MichaelNoori
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a specific version of  Air Watch that is compatible with APM?  We are currently at 9.2.3.0
0 Kudos
ThomasCheng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anyone else experience issue with migrating from Apple DEP to Apple Business Manager?
0 Kudos
HugoA_EOG
Contributor
Contributor

We were on v9.4 when I migrated the VPP account to ABM. We are straight 1:1. I thought this was going to be simple process. Migrationi went well. The licenses transfered over BUT then I noticed only unused licenses were transfered over to ABM. Now AW is showing only assigned licenses. I cannot sync, buy new licenses from neither legacy VPP and ABM apps & Books. I had AW tech troubleshoot and tech advised me to update to 9.5 or above as compatibility for ABM location tokens are supported on 9.5+. I just did the update to AW Console v9.7. Still can't sync my licenses and cannot push new apps now which sucks. Currently waiting on Apple VPP support to get back to me if they can help and also waiting on AW tech to provide further assistance.

Any one else have this issue of not syncing after the VPP facilitator invite was performed and migrated in a 1:1 setup? Meaning, one VPP account to one Location.

I tried renewing the token within AW Global settings but that had no affect. Tried renewing token with the new Location based token within ABM but AW doesn't recognize it.

Any thoughts?
0 Kudos
HugoA_EOG
Contributor
Contributor

Also, We transitioned our DEP account to ABM 2 months. The transition was seemless for DEP and we had no issues. It's the VPP migration that's giving us issues.
0 Kudos