VMware Workspace ONE Community
Takemamurata
Contributor
Contributor

Apple Business Manager VPP issue

I looked many people facing same issue about ABM VPP token.
Our company also facing same issue.
After migrate to ABM, application doesn't sync and currently we can't initialize iOS devices....
We managed over 2500 devices by AirWatch, so this is very critical!
I trided to new ABM ' APPS and Books'  server token, but when importing token, got the following error.
' ' Save Failed. Uploaded sToken is not the renewed version of the old sToken' '

We are using same account both former VPP and ABM VPP.
Any workaround??
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Kohata
Contributor
Contributor

Our company is faced with exactly the same problem. We want solve it urgently!
0 Kudos
KaoruAoyama
Contributor
Contributor

I am facing the same problem. I want to know the solution or how to switch back.
0 Kudos
Ryutar0w
Contributor
Contributor

Me too!
I`m facing the same problem.
After migrate to ABM, application doesn't sync.
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Sorry to hear about this. When I migrated mine to ABM, I didn't experience the issue with sToken at all. In fact, we have 2 different VPP accounts so I could only sync one of them. 

What is your console version and are you a SaaS or on-premises customer?
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Looks like I'm in the same boat now. Any update from any of you?
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Or were any of you prompted to specify a location during migration?
0 Kudos
DimitrijPrudkij
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

we have the same issue, after migration I see to few apps and cant install this. console version 1902
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Dimitrij, how many VPP account and MDM server do you have in your environment? I'm trying to understand what might have caused this.
0 Kudos
RichB2u2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We have had this happen to most of our locations that were converted from VPP to ASM (I assume Apple School Manager is very similar to ABM).
The way to fix this is to remove (' Clear' ) the old token in the console and replace it with the new location token from ABM.

All the apps show back up in the console as all new apps and need to be converted to device-based licenses first then re-assigned as before. This means you need to have a good understanding or documentation of all the assignment groups used for all of the apps before doing this. If a device is supervised and off when this happens the user may not notice anything when the device is turned on as the apps are replaced silently (no user dialogs or action required). If an app is storing data locally in the app then it needs to be backed up somewhere else or the data will be lost. One example is the app called Notability which can be backed up to a cloud location but that is not done by default. Sometimes the conversion process from VPP to ASM is not a complete conversion if there are still licenses associated with the old token. These can be revoked from the old token by using Configurator logged into that Apple ID and then from the Window menu select ' VPP Assignments,'  and revoke them all. Then those licenses will show up in ABM as available to transfer into Apps & Books. Then the licenses will sync to the console. An indication that this process needs to be done is if you see in ABM the link under Apps & Books to ' Download legacy library token'  which means there are still licenses that can be revoked from the old token. Once they are all revoked that link goes away.

So far we have converted 16 out of 41 locations locations and plan to do more this summer when school is out.
0 Kudos
DimitrijPrudkij
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Thomas, we have 1 vpp account and only one mdm server but we have over 4500 ios devices and a couple of apps which have local settings for example skype or sap. so clean of 4500 devices is not solution for us. I received yesterday this manuel from vmware technical support: https://support.workspaceone.com/articles/360000514807 So if I understand, when migration of licensing is over I can us ( replace ) my old token to a new one. We have 314 Application and 298 Application is already snc to our ABM. Today I hope to receive a call from vmware support a let me surprise.

@ Rich: We are healthcare company and we have no summer holidays 🙂 so I hope Airwatch can tell us what we can do.....

0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Dimitrij, I'm now in healthcare as well and I must avoid any risk of removing access to any app around the clock. Like Rich said, I also have an app that requires manual configuration such as URL (would have been avoided if the app supports app config.)

Sounds like the DEP and VPP accounts are not the same. Correct? If they are NOT the same, then yes, you MUST create a new location first before migrating Apps and Books. Doing so will ensure a seamless transition from VPP to ABM. Once you mess with the token, all hell breaks loose and you could end up re-assigning all the apps.

Check out my blog at thomascheng.net which I've written a post on this subject extensively.
0 Kudos
DimitrijPrudkij
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I renew now token for my pilot environment and no of installed apps on my test devices was remove :). After I assign all purchase apps which I add in ABM to a new token I can see this in our internal store but can not installed from device. Installion from console to devices works fine..... have anybody the same issue ?

p.s. thanks for you link Thomas to your blog!

0 Kudos
DimitrijPrudkij
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

migration was succesfull without problems. after add a new token we sync all apps again and assign it to existing smart groups.
0 Kudos