VMware Workspace ONE Community
pra11840
Contributor
Contributor

AppConfig Support for windows app using EMM

Hi, I am wondering if AppConfig support is present using EMM for a MSIX package.

I have created a msix package using dotnet and have a configuration file App.Config in it and the code is able to read the default values from it and display. But when I try to upload the MSIX package from file (not from store) to Airwatch/Workspace ONE UEM, I dont see the MDM or the EMM setting when trying to assign it to add/change key value pairs for EMM like I do for iOS and Android. I dont see a definitive answer as well in regards to if this is supported or not.

Is it supported, if yes, how? if no, is registry key the only way to do it right now?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Phil_Helmling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

MSIX packages don't natively use app.config files for configuration and Windows devices don't natively use them either. There is no MDM API to use them. As such, WS1 doesn't support them as a policy for Windows devices. If you wanted to provide a different configuration delivered by the app.config file, then push the app.config file as a separate package. You could use Freestyle workflows to do this.

0 Kudos
pra11840
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply @Phil_Helmling . Pretty new to this. Can you point me to some doc where I can read on this more. 

Essentially what I want to achieve is A enterprise application for windows desktop machines and an app in it with Emm support so admins can change/update key value pairs and are seen in app. We have exisisting workflow using Registry keys.

A link which I read was this How to develop an MAUI/Xamarin app with MDM support, including Intune (hashnode.dev)

https://pavlodatsiuk.hashnode.dev/how-to-develop-maui-xamarin-with-mdm-intune-support#heading-uwp-2 which talks about another approach. It is for UWP and uses a msix package. I dont think this is supported in Workspace. I have tried this approach as well but I dont see the EMM settings for the windows app

0 Kudos
Phil_Helmling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

0 Kudos