VMware Workspace ONE Community
syarbrou
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anyone using Content or ContentLocker?

I find that Content could be a valuable tool, but am struggling with how to configure it.  So it seems to only have two ways to assign things to it:

1. OG

2. User Group

The OG doesn't work for us as you can't assume everyone all wants the same thing so using OG would be a nightmare to define what each person wants access to.

User Group seems like the path to take however when I add a user group, which right now I have none, that user group gets added to every smartgroup which I don't get.  And once you have a user group you can't unselect it fully from that list.  It tells you then you have to have at least one user group per smartgroup.

pastedImage_0.png

If I try to switch to selected and remove MobilityTeam it complains.  So every smartgroup I have has MobilityTeam assigned to it now.  Maybe I'm not getting what that means but that seems bad.

Thoughts?    

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ralbertodacu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This would follow an "AND" logic.

For example, if you have active Smart Groups filtering devices by OG, the newly created User Groups will be automatically added to them so the User Group doesn't interfere with the logic already active on the Smart Group. This way, the devices already on that group will continue on the group regardless of the user belonging to any user groups.

The logic would be:

Devices that belong to selected OGs AND devices that the user belongs to any User Group

On the other hand, if the User Group were not selected, any devices where the user did belong to the User Group would be filtered out.

"Any" means that you are not taking into consideration if the user belongs to any User Group.

"Selected" means that you want to filter only the users of the selected User Groups. This is why you have to have at least one group selected, otherwise you would be filtering out everyone.

0 Kudos
syarbrou
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply.  I'm going to read what you wrote about 10 more times to try and fully understand but let's take this as an example:

Project1 Smartgroup

- Setup to apply to any devices in OG ABC

- Unrelated right now but all devices are tied to a local WS1 user called project1_local.

- SmartGroup has a bunch of policies and apps associated with it.

So let's now assume that the devices are in the field and working and have their policies and apps associated with them.

I not add a user group called MobileTeam with say me in it to WS1.  I will be syarbrou user in WS1

So now the SmartGroup will say:

- Setup to apply to any device in OG ABC

- AND UserGroup is MobileTeam.  Which is syarbrou

So isn't that saying now the SmartGroup applies to any device in the ABC OG and is maybe owned or something by syarbrou from the UserGroup?

So then the existing devices would go blank or reset because they do not match the settings?

Also what about user syarbrou, will they absorb Project1 SmartGroup apps and profiles when they enroll their phone or no because they aren't in OG ABC?

If not, what is that UserGroup AND really saying.  Guessing you already explained this but for some reason my brain has had the hardest time with UserGroups.

Thanks.

Steve

0 Kudos
ralbertodacu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello Steve,

Actually, after you create the User Group, the Smart Group will say:

- Setup to apply to any device in OG ABC

- AND User Group is ANY

ANY means the user may belong to any User Groups, which includes "No User Groups", so this will not remove your devices from the Smart Group.

Now, if you change User Group to "Selected" and then select the MobileTeam User Group, then yes, it will filter out your devices as it will fall into the case you described.

As for syarbrou, as it does not belong to the OG, it will not be part of the Smart Group.

On the right hand side of the Smart Group page there's an option called "Device Preview". If you enable it you can see the devices that will fall into that Smart Group. That is a quick test for you to check if a device will be excluded from the group or not.

0 Kudos