VMware Workspace ONE Community
softcatdan
Contributor
Contributor

Android for Work - COPE and Work Managed

Hi All,

Bit of an odd one. I am working with a customer who is using COPE in Android. We have configured the EMM Registration stuff to use COPE.

We enroll the device from the setup screen using afw#airwatch and in the device goes. So far, so good! However when the setup completes both Play Stores are using the same managed playstore account, as such in the Work mode the approved apps are displayed, again all good here, however when you go into the Personal Play Store the public apps are not there. Work around we have found is to go into settings>accounts and under personal remove the managed Play Store account and add in the personal Google account and presto, personal apps available.

Seems a bit backwards to me and not really how you imagine COPE to land on the device. Wondering if i have missed anything before I bug this with VMware?

Customer is not using G-Suite but standard EMM Registration.

Ta

Dan
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
AlexanderMuc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

we also want to use COPE with AfW and have similar ' problems' . I am not really satisfied with the app distribution with COPE.

Internal apps are installed with COPE in the Work Managed area and I did not find a way to install them in the Work Profile.
The Playstore/Work apps are installed in the Work Profile. (that's ok)
At COPE I would like to share apps for the automatically generated Google account in the Work Managed area. So a user could use several apps from the Playstore without creating an additional account.

Does anyone know if you can create a custom profile for the distribution of internal apps? (For Samsungdevices there was the possibility to control the installation for the device / KNOX)

Best Regards
Alexander
0 Kudos
BennyJanssens
Contributor
Contributor

Dan,
we have exact same issue.  We opened a ticket but waiting for feedback.
Do you have any update ?
0 Kudos
coachdk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Benny,

do you have an update from VMware regarding this?
I could imagine that we have to use private apps via the iframe to add internal apps to the Managed Play Store to make them available inside the Work Profile.

Regards,
Daniel
0 Kudos
BennyJanssens
Contributor
Contributor

We are still in the early support phase where we get feedbacks like 'works as designed' with the goal to close the ticket asap.

0 Kudos
Jmosh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Keep us posted as i too was wondering about the personal playstore side of things.
0 Kudos
BennyJanssens
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, they closed the ticket => works as designed >.
0 Kudos
BVarner
Contributor
Contributor

All,
After you enroll if you want to access the Play Store on the personal side of the device. Open the Google app and sign in using your Gmail account. Then open the Play Store on the personal side > click the menu button in the upper left > to the right of the work account there will be an arrow that will allow you to switch the account from work to personal. You'll then be able to access the personal Play store without restriction. You'll also need to allow adding google accounts  and allow adding/deleting accounts in the restriction profile.
0 Kudos
IvoKazimirs
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure if you are still looking for an answer on this, but the internal apps is an android legacy feature hence installing outside the container. To install private apps in container they have to be uploaded to managed google play.
0 Kudos
jerk_store
Contributor
Contributor

I really hope everyone figured out that Work Managed and COPE are two totally separate things.
0 Kudos