VMware Workspace ONE Community
sampahbau
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Android Legacy Migration

Hi
I tried to migrate my device with Android Legacy profile using Legacy Android Migration menu.
I followed the instruction from here https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workspace-ONE-UEM/1907/Android_Platform/GUID-48D742FE-79FA-4134-9B...
However when in New MIgration window after I  enter the  Smart group there i an error like thi:s:
' No devices in the selected Smart Groups are eligible for migration. Select Smart Groups that include legacy Android devices to proceed.'
I have created user, profile with legacy and also group assign to it and enroll a device.
Is there any solution for this? Could you please advise? Thank you
Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TonyMast
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was told by an Airwatch support member that a migration off legacy and no to android for work wasnt possible and we had to factory reset all devices and start with a fresh re-enrollment.

What are you migrating to?

View solution in original post

9 Replies
TonyMast
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was told by an Airwatch support member that a migration off legacy and no to android for work wasnt possible and we had to factory reset all devices and start with a fresh re-enrollment.

What are you migrating to?

sampahbau
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, I just doing testing. I try to migrating Android Legacy to Android Enterprise, since the legacy will be obsolete. Create new User, group, with default legacy, basic profile, and custom group, no container. When I tried to create a smart group and put that custom group with basic user/profile inside, it didnt list the device when I check Legacy enrollment, but it shows the device when I check Android Enterprise, weird I didnt even create Android Enterprise with the profile I guess this is why the error message shows when I tried to create a New Migration. 

0 Kudos
sampahbau
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If it is with factory reset, anybody can suggest the best case to migrating the profile in group? Can we just change the profile to Android Enterprise and push factory reset command to device? Thank you
0 Kudos
MRFVMUser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am also testing this in prep for my migration of devices to AE.  I specified my Smart Group and it detected my device properly.  However, it took about 15 minutes to ' Prepare the command'  and when it finally went into ' Migrating...'  status, it never completed the migration on my device (after about an hour, when I stopped it).  My Workspace Services message is ' Workspace services has not completed setup.  Tap 'continue' to complete.  If you are having trouble, contact your Administrator.'  

I'm with you, I must migrate my Android devices as Work Profile.  I cannot have any factory reset and new enrollment for existing devices.  If anybody has this working, please post here.  Thanks!
0 Kudos
TonyMast
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We were told it wasnt possible and ended up factory resetting all 1700+ devices to reenroll them into AndroidforWork.
Good luck...
RyanWampler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've tried the migration process on a few older Android devices and I don't think a single one migrated properly.  I was testing going to work profile managed devices.
0 Kudos
JohnMooreJohnMo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We are encountering the same issue.  We are testing the Legacy Android Migration and it fails every time.  There is no explanation in the reason section of the migration.  The device just says failed from the user's side. 
Our team has been told factory resetting devices is not an option. 
Does it appear the Legacy migration tool doesn't work?
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi all,

We tested the Android Migration tool since console version 2007 and it worked as expected. Given that there could be too many variables such as the user's device being offline and not paying attention to the notification prompt, we decided to skip the migration tool altogether and go with manual un-enrollment and re-enrollment to be safe. After all, the migration essentially does the same thing by first un-enrolling and then re-enrolling your device.

One thing I have not tested and would watch out for is that with either the migration tool or manual re-enrollment to Android Enterprise, does it create a duplicate device record? If so, this could be an issue as it may affect mail sync with EAS.

Best,

Tom

0 Kudos
JoeTingley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi folks - Using console 2008, migration also worked as expected for everything except email. We use Boxer configured with SEG v2 and while Boxer is still assigned to the smartgroup, the application doesn't show in the 'Work' Play Store. Not sure how to enable it - It almost seems like it needs to be whitelisted, but I don't see any way to do it.

0 Kudos