VMware Workspace ONE Community
PhilippKabelka
Contributor
Contributor

Android Enterprise (Android for Work) - COPE scenario possible?

Hello!
Is it possible to get Android Enterprise in a COPE (Corporate Owned, Personally Enable) - Mode with AirWatch UEM?
(bayton.org/docs/enterprise-mobility/android/what-is-android-enterprise-and-why-is-it-used/)
Jason Bayton describe the COPE scenario (but only in conjunction with MobileIron)
' ...the most common management scenario, where the organisation controls the device but permits some personal usage (COPE), available with Android 8.0 and so far supported only by MobileIron...'
PhilippK
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
Olivaw10
Contributor
Contributor

There is a beta program for COPE. I think it is not open yet.
It will be avaible with AW10 I think.
0 Kudos
PhilippKabelka
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the information!
I found another information on:
https://developers.google.com/android/work/overview#company-owned-devices-for-knowledge-workers
, it seems Google allready provide API for COPE ,but some EMMs are not implemented yet 😉
PhilippK
0 Kudos
janfondo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Philipp,

We have been waiting on this since Workspace UEM 9.3 and it was expected to be released with Agent 8.2 back in the day.
VMware keeps saying it will be released with a new version (either agent or software) but I am not getting my hopes up yet.

Let's wait for the release notes on AW10.
0 Kudos
LSIMM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is COPE not already a thing in UEM anyway?

Enrolling a device as Android Enterprise in Work Managed Device mode, you then have the option to tailor whatever payloads you want, so as to enable or disable certain settings and features to suit.

So you could lock down a corp owned device to restrict the user from pretty much doing anything other than using it in the way you want them to.
Or you could enable everything, which would essentially make it a COPE device.
0 Kudos
janfondo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Leo,

Yes that is something I've discussed with VMware but they state that it is not COPE.
It is still Work Managed mode, but with some restrictions lifted. You cannot enable everything for the ' private'  user.

We basically want Work Profile mode that you get by manual enrollment, but with auto enrollment.

0 Kudos
LSIMM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Jan,

I see now, also just read the feature request Philipp has submitted https://support.workspaceone.com/posts/360016387953-Android-Enterprise-COPE-

Explains it nicely.
0 Kudos
DavidFink
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm running console 1810 with inteligent hub in my uat environment and have a couple devices running in COPE mode now. Would love to hear from others, like, are simple things like screenshots doing everyone else's heads in?
0 Kudos
Boringo
Contributor
Contributor

I'm trying to use Knox Mobile Enrollment with COPE.  I've got 1810 on-prem in UAT and setup a device to enroll over the air and for all intents and purposes it was just a work-managed device.  No COPE settings to be seen.  Is KME not a supported enrollment method???
0 Kudos
janfondo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey David F, well the COPE approach definitely needs some explaining to end users but overall it is a nice experience I guess.
0 Kudos
janfondo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey Todd B, which Android version are you testing with? You need Android 8 or higher.
Furthermore you need to configure the 2nd tab on Android Enterprise settings within the UEM console to use COPE.

0 Kudos
Boringo
Contributor
Contributor

Jan B - COPE enabled in Android Enterprise settings.  I'm testing with a Samsung running Android 8.0.0. 

I'll test manually enrolling to AFE vs. Knox and see if I get the same managed device experience.
0 Kudos
Boringo
Contributor
Contributor

Manually enrolled to AFE and while I see the work apps as badged, when I go to the Google Play store, I see a message that says ' there are no apps to install since your administrator hasn't made any available to you yet. 

Is there additional configuration I need to do in our AFW Managed Play Store?
0 Kudos
ABPujari
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Todd B,

Yes you need to add the apps to AFW managed play store to have them listed in end users device, thing is to make sure you use Badge version of play store on the device to see the apps enabled in AFW managed play store 
0 Kudos
Boringo
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not having an issue seeing managed apps.  The problem is that I am not seeing any unmanaged apps available.
0 Kudos
ArnoKenis
Contributor
Contributor

I am facing the same issue as @Todd B. In the ' public'  playstore there's the message There are no apps to install, since your admin...
0 Kudos
Jmosh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey to reply to @Todd B. and Arno. K  we've seen this as well.. The user needs to go into settings and then accounts and add a gmail account. After that you can switch between the Work store, and your personal one. Currently trying to figure out a way to prompt the user to do this vs them manually going through settings etc.
0 Kudos