VMware Workspace ONE Community
KrisHornsleth
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Android App Permissions

I deploy an app on Android via the products feature and have a File/Action with an intent to run that app immediately afterwards.  From there on this app runs as a service and auto starts whenever the device is restarted.  This process works great on Android 4 through 8.1 devices.  Seems Google changed something along the way and an app on Android 10 must request user permission to run as a service.   

How do i auto grant the "Settings.ACTION_MANAGE_OVERLAY_PERMISSION" for my app?  This is not an advertised option in the custom app permissions payload per Workspace One documentation.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MatthewSwenson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I don't use this feature per se, but I am interested to see if you come up with a resolution.  I understand that there are differences with background processing and service handling in Android 10+.  If I could automatically accept permissions for products on fully-managed devices, that would be great in general.

0 Kudos
KrisHornsleth
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There's a built in profile option for app permissions in product provisioning but it doesn't appear to work or maybe isn't advertised properly.  But check out this KB below.  I have used these steps to auto approve access to storage as an example.  The user never gets prompted which was my desired result.  My problem from the original question is that it seems there's not an option mentioned in this KB for the service function or auto run on restart permission.  Hope this helps you.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/78590