VMware Workspace ONE Community
EdK2020
Contributor
Contributor

Android App Deployment & Auto Start

Hoping someone can help me understand better how this works

I am deploying apps via Managed Google Play to fully managed devices

I am using the Files/Actions and Products to then run an intent to start an application

But I am NOT having any success with this

Should this work?

What happens if the product is deployed to the device prior to the app being installed?

Will the product attempt to re-run again once the package is available?

Or do I need to add some logic somehow to make the product wait for the application to install?

Thanks for any help!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MatthewSwenson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Are you using rugged Android devices?

If you push the app itself via Products, you can then subsequently launch your intent or use a dependent product to launch your intent.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to have a product decide whether or not to run based on the existence of an application on the device.  There are compliance policies which can check this.  I really don't understand why this is not available as a condition for the very reason you suggest.

I'd recommend trying to push the app via Products if this is a requirement for you.  You could have the users answer a confirm condition.  Or, if you can identify a file which is created once the app is installed, you could use a file exists condition to basically do what you're wanting.  (in theory)

EdK2020
Contributor
Contributor

So I managed to get an install Assignment Rule to work looking to see if the specific version of the app is installed

my next challenge is app permissions - i'll post a separate question about this - very strange behavior...

Ali_Irfan
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @EdK2020,

Can you shed some light on the process of how you actually got this Assignment Rule working?

Thanks.

0 Kudos