VMware Workspace ONE Community
syarbrou
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Android 13 failures

Just had a user who tried enrolling in WS1 on an Android device he just updated to Android 13.  Basically getting:

Workspace Services
Workspace Services has not completed setup. Tap ‘continue’ to complete.
If you are having trouble contact your Administrator.

(Second screenshot after continue is tapped)
Can’t add work profile
A work profile can’t be added to this device. If you have questions, contact your IT admin.

I am on premise on 21.11.0.22 (2111) and found some VMware article about 22.07 being ready for Android 13.  So hopefully that's not the problem.  There is no 22.07 for on premise yet.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Labels (1)
24 Replies
camerondilbeck
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having this issue as well with 2 android 13 users; one using an S22 Ultra and another using an S22+. Did you get any headway on this issue?

0 Kudos
syarbrou
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey Cameron,

Yes if you are on premise.  I had to install the latest seed script.  Can't find the link I used last time but found this on VMware's site.

To check for the latest iOS seed script, go to my.WorkspaceOne.com and ensure you are logged in with your approved corporate email. Navigate to the menu in the top left hand corner of the page, select Software > Console and search for "seed script." This script can be run on your Workspace ONE database to ensure your environment stays up-to-date.  

Ignore that it says iOS on the script it contains info on both.  Side note, I do not believe I have any S22 devices enrolled right now specifically however.

0 Kudos
camerondilbeck
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the data. I'm SaaS so unfortunately I think the solution is going to be a bit different then. I appreciate the quick response though!

0 Kudos
syarbrou
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks.  appreciate if you can keep me in the loop.  Maybe it's something specific to those device versions and we haven't experienced it yet.

0 Kudos
camerondilbeck
Contributor
Contributor

It seems to be low volume for us at the moment. I am using an S22 Ultra, same as the 2nd user I've been made aware of, and faced 0 issue enrolling my device. I may open up a support ticket with VMware to see if they have any additional data.

0 Kudos
valenciaj
Contributor
Contributor

We are on prem, seeing the same issue. But actually we started seeing issues once Android 13 rolled out. A few Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultras stopped syncing email. Then as more devices got the update more stopped syncing with the Gmail client. I noticed Gmail app has been updated a few times in November. 

0 Kudos
troysp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We are seeing the same issue. I have a test Samsung S22 with Android 13 and it will not complete the HUB setup.  I am able to get past putting in my credentials and then it goes to downloading.  It flashes 3 or 4 times then says it cannot setup the Work profile on the device.  The device is showing up as attached to my account in UEM.  I did open a ticket with VMware on this today but have not gotten far on it. 

0 Kudos
PeterFlanagan
Contributor
Contributor

I am glad I am not the only one seeing this. I had opened a ticket with support last week and only got one response so far, but it was just for more general information. For users that are having Gmail issues, I have been deploying Samsung Mail to them and am finding that Samsung Mail works a lot better than Boxer on many things. I'll post here if I get any updated information with the enrollment issues.

0 Kudos
troysp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just to add to this discussion, I tried the 'Test DPC' app from the Play store and it could not setup a work profile either.  I may not be using it correctly but I have never used it before and was not aware it existed until a couple days ago.  Has anyone else tried the Test DPC app?

0 Kudos
PeterFlanagan
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I have tried the "Test DPC" app. We started to notice the issue on an unenroll / re-enroll. That shouldn't have been done in the first place, but here we are. Test DPC also failed after factory reset and of course enrollment failed too. I tried the same on my Samsung S22 with Android 13 and couldn't reproduce the issue.

0 Kudos
Pro2type
Contributor
Contributor

Have the same issue with an Samsung S22 Ultra. Cannot enroll, getting error while creating Work Profile. Several other users are able to enroll the S22 Ultra. Have 22.9.0.7 UEM version

0 Kudos
AlexanderMuc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The problems sound like - as described by syarbrou - an OS seed script needs to be applied to support the new OS versions. If the major OS releases are not maintained in the database, updates from already rolled out devices will work, but no new enrollments.

If you don't have database access (e.g. due to SaaS), you can narrow down the cause via Smart Groups. If there is no "Android 13.0.0" in the Smart Group criteria for "Platform and Operating System" with Android, the OS Seed script must be applied.

We have UEM2105 and UEM 2209 and have no problems with Android 13 enrollment.

valenciaj has mentioned sync problems. These could be solved by switching the Work Profile off and on:

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/90201

0 Kudos
Pro2type
Contributor
Contributor

That is not correct, since we already have meny Android 13 enrolled. I came across one user with Samsung S22 Ultra now that cannot enroll. We have S22 Ultra enrolled already aswell. 

0 Kudos
troysp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have already applied the seed scrip before this issue even started happening.  The interesting thing also is that the Test DPC app fails to create the work profile on the device and this app has nothing to do with UEM.  Unless there is some bug in the seed script I am not sure that is the issue.

0 Kudos
troysp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So, after doing some more Google research I found a workaround people can try as it appears to have worked for me.

1.  Install the HUB app

2. Remove your Google account from the phone under settings and Google services

3. Setup the HUB app and let it create the work profile

4.  Re-add your Google account

This appears to have worked for me and I was able to create the work profile and the require apps were pushed down to the device.  This is obviously an Android 13 bug but not sure if it is related to Samsung devices only.  Hopefully Samsung can resolve this quickly.

0 Kudos
troysp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Also, VMware appears to have published a KB for this issue.

Samsung S22 Android 13 Devices Cannot Enroll into Work Profile - RESOLVED (90418) (vmware.com)

0 Kudos
BarbraConner
Contributor
Contributor

New article regarding the issue. Samsung states that it seems to be impacting Samsung S22 Ultra devices on Verizon
https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/90418

0 Kudos
troysp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

The solution in that KB article did not work for us.  We had to use the following solution for the users that were having issues enrolling devices.

1. Install the HUB app from the Play store
  2. Remove your Google account from the phone
    1. You will need to go to Settings and then Google
    2. Tap on your Account and then tap on Manage accounts on this device
    3. Tap on your account again and then tap remove account
  3. Open the HUB app and go through the setup and let it create the work profile
  4. You can now re-add your Google account to the phone after the HUB app completes the setup.
  5. You can then go through the Boxer setup for email.

Every phone we have tried to update Google Play services says the service is already up to date.

ScaryLarry_12
Contributor
Contributor

My company is running into Android 13 issues as well. In our case, we have a fleet of Samsung Galaxy Tab S8+'s in multiple retail stores. These are Wi-Fi only devices and we never had any issues until Android 13 hit. That said, we only have a handful experiencing lost network connectivity. However, I'm worried this will evolve into more of our devices being affected.